DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   DIY differential? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=121984)

snrusnak 09-20-2012 08:16 AM

DIY differential?

Anyone out there know how to do gear changes themselves? I don't want to/can't afford to pay for a gear swap and add LSD so am wondering if I can teach myself how to do the work. Not sure exactly how to do it, looking for info, what tools needed, etc. I figure it'd be good to learn as I can use the skills in the future.

Would it be something I could learn/do in a weekend? I have a lot of tools just probably no specialty tools related to the rear end.

Any info appreciated!

CdnoilRAM 09-20-2012 11:26 PM

It's a very precise thing to do. Best thing would be to find someone with the know-how and just have them supervise. It's not the kind of thing you want to just wing, doing it incorrectly will result in whining, grinding, and potentially blown bearing and leaking seals.

IF you do dewcide to do it yourself, then I'd recommend replacing the axle seals, crush ring, and bearings at the same time since it's already open, but with yours being so new you might not have to.

snrusnak 09-21-2012 08:26 AM

Thanks for the reply Kurtis.

I watched a video last night, not very in depth, but showed a lot of video/pictures so I was able to visualize it all.

Looks pretty easy IMO just need to set it up correctly/precisely like you said. Need a few tools but no big deal.

If I did it I'd probably replace it all, since I'm in there. It's not like I have 10000 miles, I have almost 70000, not that that's a huge amount but more than most with a 2010.

fastNugly @ BP 09-21-2012 09:40 AM

Sean, Im subscribed :smileup:
Im to chicken to attempt this so I hope you are able to do this and save some $$

But yes, make sure it is done correctly

snrusnak 09-21-2012 09:49 AM

I would do it in a heart beat if it wasn't my daily driver. The only thing that worries me is I'll need more time, as in I'll need to go get a special tool, or something like that. I can't afford to have my truck down for a week you know.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it, just need to do a lot more research first to make sure I have everything I need. I can't find anybody local that knows how to do it that would do it where it's affordable to me. I think with an oem LSD, gear set, seals, bearings, install kit, etc. I should be able to do it for about $500-$750, not sure on the cost of the tools yet. I'll be money ahead and have picked up some knowledge/skill that I can use down the road.

fastNugly @ BP 09-21-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 893543)
I would do it in a heart beat if it wasn't my daily driver. The only thing that worries me is I'll need more time, as in I'll need to go get a special tool, or something like that. I can't afford to have my truck down for a week you know.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it, just need to do a lot more research first to make sure I have everything I need. I can't find anybody local that knows how to do it that would do it where it's affordable to me. I think with an oem LSD, gear set, seals, bearings, install kit, etc. I should be able to do it for about $500-$750, not sure on the cost of the tools yet. I'll be money ahead and have picked up some knowledge/skill that I can use down the road.

You may be able to do it for others (for $$) once you do yours :smileup:

snrusnak 09-21-2012 10:19 AM

^I had that thought as well :)

fastNugly @ BP 09-21-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 893563)
^I had that thought as well :)

Hey, many guys want to do it and if you can figure out how to do yours, then why not. charge enough to make money but charge less than shops to get the business.
Win/win

snrusnak 09-21-2012 10:37 AM

I just found out my neighbor has an arbor press, would that work or do I need a different kind of press? I'm not really sure as I've never used a press, not sure if it matters or differences/applications of the different types...

CdnoilRAM 09-21-2012 10:52 AM

The arbor press may work, depending on what size it is and if you have enough depth clearance for the ring gear. Hell, you can make your own press if you had to, just need to have/build a frame and get a bottle jack that you mount in it upsidedown, they aren't anything fancy. The gauge you'll need can be picked up at a decent price from places like Acklands or any other equipment sales store, auto parts stores may have them, but honestly I've never gone looking for them there.

I'm curious to know, what video were you watching, I've been looking for a while and haven't seen a good one that wasn't somebody trying to hold a camera and wrench at the same time... making me anuseous :doh: