DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Vararam or another CAI? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=121987)

Fickle 09-20-2012 08:46 AM

Vararam or another CAI?

Well I started a thread a couple days ago about which way to go as far as CAI's, I got a few suggestions one of them being Vararam so I checked out their website, and sent them an email with some questions. It didn't take long for a reply, but they didn't answer my questions, they just gave me a phone number to call. I was almost dead set on getting the Hemi Under Glass kit, until I started poking around seeing what other peoples opinions and or problems were. Many said they had gone back to a more traditional CAI due to poor fitment, the system sucking in water and other debris, and some of that debris getting past the filter due to the poor fit up. I don't like the idea of removing the plastic in the bumper for the ram air tubes to go in, would be nice if there were some sort of aftermarket grille or something you could put over the area to give it some style and keep large debris out. I see a lot of people have the Air Grabber, but after seeing ghostr1der's video on Youtube about how it flops all over and sits crooked, and its only for 09 and up rams, I won't be getting that one either. Still torn about whether to get the Hemi Under Glass kit, does it fit under a scoopless hood (stock)? What is the consensus on this product? Is all the aggravation and what not worth it or should I go with a traditional CAI?:4-dontknow:

Grubrunner 09-20-2012 10:29 AM

I think the Vararam is a fine intake with very astute thinking behind it; with a nice throw-back feel. However, personally, I think it looks horrid and does next to nothing cosmetically to dress the Hemi engine compartment. Of course, suffice it is to say, no disrespect to those owners who have one.

Take a look at the cold air induction intake in my sig. IMHO, when it comes to this particular area of aftermarket modifications, S&B Intakes are in a class of their own in appearance, performance, fit-n-finish, etc....

Good luck ultimately in your selection.

916Timmy 09-20-2012 10:57 AM

If you want to go to the track, then get the Vararam. If you want a nice intake to run around every day with...then S&B or Volant.

Kcbigbadram 09-21-2012 12:00 PM

I've been trying to figure this out also. I think I'm leaning towards the vararam.

916Timmy 09-21-2012 01:49 PM

Its awesome! I had one and loved it

Kcbigbadram 09-21-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 916Timmy (Post 893638)
Its awesome! I had one and loved it

Had one?? Why did u get rid of it?

Fickle 09-22-2012 02:22 PM

I'm not going to the track but I'd like the performance that the hemi underglass kit has, still not completely sold on it. If i really need to make an extra bracket thats no big deal. Just don't want to get rid of that plastic insert in the bumper without replacing it with some other type of grille or insert to keep it looking good and keeping large debris out of the intake tubes.

916Timmy 09-22-2012 05:14 PM

Buy the Volant or S&B, the Vararam 3G isn't a good daily driver!

And I sold my 4G Vararam because I can no longer use it....6.1 manifold swap

Jpd 09-22-2012 06:03 PM

I am looking into buying one as well I found some small grills that fit in that spot they are on ebay. I was also lookin into the honeycomb grill and fab something up.

TheSatinPumpkin 09-22-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 916Timmy (Post 894352)
Buy the Volant or S&B, the Vararam 3G isn't a good daily driver!

And I sold my 4G Vararam because I can no longer use it....6.1 manifold swap

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!