DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Mixing oil brands (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=122096)

Dukeman 09-22-2012 09:33 AM

Mixing oil brands

What's your take on mixing oil brands (not types). I have 5 liters of one brand and I have 2 of another brand, both full synthetic. Good idea, bad idea or somewhere in between.

Grubrunner 09-22-2012 09:56 AM

I'm assuming you're speaking of the same viscosity, correct?

gopackgo69 09-22-2012 09:57 AM

Yeah same viscosity, no problem.

CdnoilRAM 09-22-2012 10:48 AM

No issue, go ahead and do it. It's only if you're a picky purist like me who only uses grade IV synthetic that it makes any difference, and then it would mean I have to change at 10,000 miles and not 15,000 if I added grade III syn.

craigsez 11-20-2012 09:52 PM

Change yer oil same time no matter if its mineral or not....Only diff in syn and mineral is the additive package..Syn is better in most cases but its the additives that wear out and not the oil itself...Only way the oil gets bad(for the lack of a better term)is because the oil itself gets over come with impuritys..

huntergreen 11-21-2012 03:49 PM

i tend not to do this as the additive pkg are different. i don't know if they will work together or chemically alter the package. this is most likely old thinking on my part though.

ridgerunnerseoinc 11-22-2012 10:00 AM

I've mixed diff. types of oils, diff. brands, diff yrs of oil, and diff. visc. of oils. Really doesn't matter much at all. I've freeked more than a few purists on www.bobistheoilguy.com with my oil mixes and UOA's.

craigsez 11-23-2012 01:19 PM

For the most part oils will have pretty much the same additives..Some will have a lil more of one and less the other and another brand will be the opposite...There is a company called polaris(no not the snow machine/4 wheelers ect)that chemically tests oils...They should have somethin on their site i would imagine...I know they do oil sampling/testing for wear metals and additives for a radio show on sirius for big rigs..

craigsez 11-23-2012 01:24 PM

Just not a good idea to mix viscositys...hell you can mix syn and mineral if you wanna..Some engines dont like the sudden change of mineral to syn so every oil change just swap one mineral for a syn till its full syn..If you find that she goes through oil a lil its most likely the rings reseating..

GTyankee 11-23-2012 02:37 PM

First a little background
I was raised on a farm in Connecticut, when we bought our oil it came in glass jars, with a metal screw on lid & spout, like this..
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/view...g,bottles6.jpg
We returned the empty jars to get more oil.

When more & more companies started making oil, One or 2 of the companies were located in Pennsylvania, Quaker State was one of them. If you were to mix or change oil, like go from Texaco Flying A Brand motor oil to Quaker State, or just mix the 2,
pretty quickly you would discover that the oil from Pennsylvania was not compatible with any other oil, it would gum up your engine with a yellowish snot like goo.

I don't know if they still have Pennsylvania Crude Motor Oils made the same as in days of old.
I believe that this was where original DON'T MIX OILS came from

I still won't mix oils unless i am down a quart & can't get my normal brand

DUKEMAN, If it were me, those 2 cans would stay on the shelf in the garage, until a friend needed some oil & then it would be gone.
To this day, i will not mix oil brands

When i first bought my '09 Ram, Mobile oil had the Chrysler oil contract, about a year later, i believe Valvoline won the contract, then last year Shell won the contract. Shell Oil is Pennzoil for gas engines & Rotella for diesels.
That is when i changed to Mobile One synthetic & WIX oil filters