DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   boggs out when tryin to accelerate (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=122360)

dragstersteve 09-25-2012 10:50 PM

boggs out when tryin to accelerate

.Ran good until a week ago. Im trying to figure out whats goin on.when im towing heavy loads it bogs out goin up hills or when try to accelerate.Iput a new fuel filter in it and it ran alot better for about 350 miles ,then back to way it was.I took that filter out it didnt look that bad and i could blow through it,threw another one in and it ran good for the the same 350 miles,then bogging again.the next morning it ran good for about 30 min then bogging again,
I think the lift pump is on the way out.mine is in the tank,should i mount a performance one outside the tank or what?Do i have another problem?any help would be a great help to me because im a NEWBIE.

moparornocar72 09-25-2012 11:09 PM

run some seafoam through the intake and see if that cleans out any of the top end

verdesardog 09-25-2012 11:41 PM

What's your fuel pressure look like? You can't just start trying stuff, go about diagnosing the problem logically or if you have a deep pocket of cash do like the stealer just and throw parts (or sea foam) at it....LOL

dragstersteve 09-26-2012 02:06 AM

is there a port for a fuel pressure gauge or will i see the fuel pressure on a scanner?

verdesardog 09-26-2012 09:35 AM

A scanner should be able to show rail fuel pressure not sure about lp fuel pressure. I have a 2 micron fuel filter and installed a gauge after it so as to know when to change the filter, I'm showing about 10# of lift pump fuel pressure.

dragstersteve 09-26-2012 07:19 PM

ok i droped the tank today and there was no fuel pump but there was a bunch of crap in there .the screen was pretty much clogged.cleaned it all up and changed the filter and now it runs worse?i think the lift pump is bolted to the side of the filter housing. the local parts house sells a carter replacement for 122 bucks i guess tommorrow i will give that a shot.

i plugged my scanner into it and it has no codes and in the data part it does not show me fuel pressure.my friend has a better scanner than me ill try that in morning first

dragstersteve 10-01-2012 09:05 AM

Ok well i plugged a different scan tool in and no codes or no fuel pressure info .so what i did is took the the top off the fuel filter housing then drain the fuel out of the housing via the little plastic lever on the side of it then closed the lever off .I then told my freind to turn the key on to see how much fuel the lift pump is actually pumping into the filter housing .It looked pretty lame ,it took about 7 key cycles to fill the filter housing ,then i told my freind to start it .It started no problem and idled no problem (lid still off)the fuel level never came up over the top.
So i figured it has to be the lift pump,went and bought the carter replacment put it in .Now when i cycled the key it only took 2 key cycles to fill the filter housing up and when i started it (lid still off)the fuel overflowed.I put the filter housing lid back on and wella runs like a animal again.

dodge man 10-01-2012 04:35 PM

Yeah, 03's and early 04's had the lift pump on the filter housing. Mine has had the lift pump moved to the tank, which is what the dealer does if you take it in to get it fixed. The ones on the filter housing are known for failing.