DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   High and Low beam problems (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=122444)

txdixiebelle 09-26-2012 11:50 PM

High and Low beam problems

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, and I'm having problems with the high and low beams headlights. On the driver side the low beam doesn't work, but the high beam works. Now on the passenger side it's just the opposite the high beam doesn't work but the low beam does. I've already replaced the headlights on both sides What could be causing this, and what am I'm going to have to replace. Please if anyone knows please respond to this cause I'm going out of my mind trying to figure out is going on with my truck. And please let me know how much this is going to cost me to get fixed.

astevenson 10-08-2012 01:38 AM

My boss had that problem with his 04 at least the low beam not working. took it to the dealer they told him there was some kinda control module I beleive that was bad. It has one for each head light. They wanted a few hundred dollars to fix it.

RamSport1500 11-08-2012 04:30 AM

I have a 06 Ram Sport 1500 5.7 Quad cab... my right low beam went... Did somee research through here a lot of guys are having problems with that same issue. Its the TIPM (Total Intergrated Power Module) Dodge basically wired everything through it... When it starts going it does that. Commonly its the right passanger low beam that goes.... Had my personal Mechanic check the truck confirmed it. I dont rust a Dodge mechanic... they like sales men they say almost anything amd change you hundreds to fix it and still be wrong. Once I confirmed it was the TIPM I had to go to a Dodge dealer cause appearently you have to get the part from Dodge and Dodge as my mechanic told me has a monoply on the flash codes so outside sources cant get it. Unless you have a buddy that can hook you up at a Dodge dealer its going to be pricey fix... I spent just under $700 to fix it... and at the time i had only had the truck months from date of purchase. After it was replaced I noticed my trucks features working like the radio staying on with Ignition off after they key is out until you open the door. Im now having issues with my Instrument cluster... Tach reading 500 RPM at 70 mph on the highway and 0 at a idle... The dodge dealer originally said the lights and the cluster were the cause of the TIPM but the replacement only fixed the head light and some of the features... my cluster is still all jacked upand now they are saying its a seperate issue but want to run more "test" to confirm it...

RamTech 11-08-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamSport1500 (Post 932379)
I have a 06 Ram Sport 1500 5.7 Quad cab... my right low beam went... Did somee research through here a lot of guys are having problems with that same issue. Its the TIPM (Total Intergrated Power Module) Dodge basically wired everything through it... When it starts going it does that. Commonly its the right passanger low beam that goes.... Had my personal Mechanic check the truck confirmed it. I dont rust a Dodge mechanic... they like sales men they say almost anything amd change you hundreds to fix it and still be wrong. Once I confirmed it was the TIPM I had to go to a Dodge dealer cause appearently you have to get the part from Dodge and Dodge as my mechanic told me has a monoply on the flash codes so outside sources cant get it. Unless you have a buddy that can hook you up at a Dodge dealer its going to be pricey fix... I spent just under $700 to fix it... and at the time i had only had the truck months from date of purchase. After it was replaced I noticed my trucks features working like the radio staying on with Ignition off after they key is out until you open the door. Im now having issues with my Instrument cluster... Tach reading 500 RPM at 70 mph on the highway and 0 at a idle... The dodge dealer originally said the lights and the cluster were the cause of the TIPM but the replacement only fixed the head light and some of the features... my cluster is still all jacked upand now they are saying its a seperate issue but want to run more "test" to confirm it...

I'd love to offer some advice and opinion or two, but I'm a Dodge mechanic and obviously untrustworthy. BTW, we don't have the "monopoly" on flashes. Properly equipped independent shops can do them as well. Best of luck to you with your problem.

txdixiebelle 12-20-2012 10:15 PM

Headlight Problems

I'm at my wits end and need some help with trying to figure out what is going on with my headlights........... My low beam is out on my driver side, and now my high beam is out on my passenger side. I don't know what to do..... I keep getting the run around..... I need this fix cause this is the only means of transportion I have, and I work in the medical field and need my vehicle. I live in Texas near Oklahoma border... If anyone knows a place that I can take my truck to have it looked at and it not cost me an arm and leg cause I don't make that much money.

mopars and mountains 01-06-2013 05:51 PM

day time running lights and high beams all out

so ive resently moved out of bc to alberta and am in need of a veicle inspection and as the hids blueish light temp color is frouned apon to pass ive had to uninstall a custom hid and led set up and am now running the stock bulbs. now the drl and high beams are not working, ive sourced that the drl's are run by the high beam output so perhapts my high beams are malfunctioning and in turn drl's not working. wile all along all other lights; tail marker low beam and fog function normally. please help i need some direction badly i really dont want to spend a thousand to fix this.:4-dontknow: thanks

simonmw75 01-15-2013 02:31 PM

I had a similar issue with my 02. My headlights just quit working. Like most of us, i hit the forumz for similar issues. Long story short, it turned out to be corrosion inside the fuse box assembly under the hood. Seems that either thru bad design or whatever, water found its way onto the printed circuit board and caused enough corrosion of the wire closest to the edge of the board. Turns out that was the wire for the headlights. Cost for a new circuit board would have been $700. Cost for the shop to replace it would have brought it up to around $1000. F that.

What i did, and what led to my discovery, was the complete disassembly of the fuse box. That means removing it from the vehicle, and taking note of where each fuse goes, cuz i had to pull them all out. Once i got to that circuit board, i could see the delamination of the board and what wire to test. To fix the wire, i used a wire brush to clean and remove corrosion, then used a solder gun to reconnect it. Or i could have ran a new wire. It may seem odd to use a wire brush to clean a wire, but remember, it is running through the layers of the board, not open and surrounded by plastic. My multimeter also helped me troubleshoot.

Hope this helps