DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Engine lopes and stalls at idle (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=122656)

RamMan01 09-30-2012 06:37 PM

Engine lopes and stalls at idle

hey everyone, im quite fustrated with my ram right now. as soon as i start my engine, it lopes and stalls. it wont idle for anything. if im on the gas, shell run fine but as soon as i take my foot off the gas it stalls. anyone have a quick answer? it's the only vehicle i have and i have to commute back and forth to school with it.

Thanks,
Mike

Phatninja55 10-02-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamMan01 (Post 899437)
hey everyone, im quite fustrated with my ram right now. as soon as i start my engine, it lopes and stalls. it wont idle for anything. if im on the gas, shell run fine but as soon as i take my foot off the gas it stalls. anyone have a quick answer? it's the only vehicle i have and i have to commute back and forth to school with it.

Thanks,
Mike

Not to big of a deal just drive with your foot on the gas, use your left for break. Mine started doing the same this last week. Try replacing the throttle position sensor.

FDRam01 10-02-2012 05:18 PM

Try cleaning your idle air control valve. My 98 Dak and now my 01 Ram did that and I removed the throttle body and took the IAC out and cleaned the valve tip and IAC port with carb cleaner to remove the carbon build up. You should check your MAP and TPS sensor. Check the voltage on the TPS by back probing the center wire on the TPS with you positive multimeter lead and put negative to a good ground. Turn the key to Ing on engine off with the throttle close it should read about .7 VDC and at WOT it should be about 4.5-5 VDC. Move the throttle slowly through its range and make sure it doesn't blank out. If it does replace it. Your MAP sensor is tested the same way. Back probe the center wire and a good ground. Again turn the key th ING on engine off you should have 4-5 VDC with the engine off. With the engine running at idle it should be about 1.5-2VDC. Hope this helps. It take a bit the do some trouble shooting but it will keep you from tearing your hair out. do the TPS and MAP testing before you remove the TB.

FDRam01 10-02-2012 05:29 PM

I forgot to tell you not to back probe the sensor connectors with the regular probe. Take a heavy paper clip and wrap it around the probe and use that to probe the connector cause if you shove the regular probe in there you can possible damage the pin in the connector adding to you problems. Also I saw you are from CT where in Ct are you?