DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Military (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Anybody ride in/operate any of these? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=122709)

gonefishin776 10-01-2012 08:15 AM

Anybody ride in/operate any of these?

A2 Buffalo
Cougar
FMTV
Husky

The company I work for makes the ballistic windows for these vehicles. We buy the glass pre-cut then inspect it, install gaskets/frames and send them out to be installed onto the vehicle. We test with various rounds.... .50cal, 20mm, other common rounds. If you look in the lower corner and there is a logo that says Hawkins Glass...that's us! I used to work on the floor as a ballistic glass tech, now I'm in the office. I wanted to post because it's interesting to hear from people who are directly benefited from what we do.

slimpartywagon 10-06-2012 02:00 AM

I am a mechanic in the ARMY, I work on the FMTV... last month we broke two ballistic windows while installing them on the new P2 Cab. I couldn't believe how easily they broke... We were brakeing them all the time in Afghanistan, but that was due to IEDS and fork lifts.

GTyankee 10-06-2012 02:08 AM

I am not involved with glass products
But i do know even the best & strongest glass, will break easily if you strike it on its edge
You can take a hammer to the face of the glass & it likely would never break

gonefishin776 10-09-2012 02:14 PM

Yeah it is pretty fragile when it comes to bumping a corner or an edge, creating a shell chip or a run. But they do their job stopping a round from penetrating/blowing shards of glass into the occupants face.

Keep breaking glass on install and you keep me with a job ;) haha

slimpartywagon 10-19-2012 01:19 AM

actually we found it to be a bad lot... the windows were cut 1/4" too big and wouldn't "flex" enough to go into the seal. Also we found out we were supposed to have a special tool to install the windshields... which we ended up making... finally got a windshield installed today... 4 windshields and 30 some hours total... holy hell batman... this isn't the first ballistic windshield I have dealt with.. just the most frustrating one...

I have only seen a couple break in combat.

ArmyofOne 10-21-2012 01:59 PM

I have been struck by IED's in EVERY vehicle you listed. I work on them too as a mechanic in the army.

Your company's glass has saved my ass more times than I can count. Thank you. 25 IED strikes in 3 tours, and your glass was between me and death every single time.

gonefishin776 10-21-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimpartywagon (Post 915022)
actually we found it to be a bad lot... the windows were cut 1/4" too big and wouldn't "flex" enough to go into the seal. Also we found out we were supposed to have a special tool to install the windshields... which we ended up making... finally got a windshield installed today... 4 windshields and 30 some hours total... holy hell batman... this isn't the first ballistic windshield I have dealt with.. just the most frustrating one...

I have only seen a couple break in combat.

Hmm interesting a bad lot got through like that. I'd like to think anyone who sold these windows were as strict on dimensions as we are. We measure all of our windows before we send them out. That's crazy it took that long to install. Glad to know we aren't the only people who are driven nuts by these things! haha

SSG Stevenson 02-22-2013 09:01 AM

nope, M1A1's and A2's for me....but I seen a few of those windows break in Iraq. One from a jolly rancher in a wrist rocket :-(

gonefishin776 02-22-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSG Stevenson (Post 1019573)
nope, M1A1's and A2's for me....but I seen a few of those windows break in Iraq. One from a jolly rancher in a wrist rocket :-(

I listed A2s....

That glass is 5" thick. A jolly rancher might have shipped the top layer. but that shit can stop a few .50cal rounds from blowing your head off.

SSG Stevenson 02-22-2013 03:47 PM

Sorry M1A1 and M1A2 Abrams :D and it was on a uparmored hummer that we busted the window on