DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   what happened??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=122789)

molina425 10-02-2012 09:37 AM

what happened???

so i was driving out to work for my 2 week hitch in texas(oil field work) 7 hour drive.the whole way i was ranging from 17-21 mpg. but then about an hour from my destination mpg DROPS to only 11-13 mpg and stayed that way so had to stop and put more gas and was on E again after just a 40 minute drive.whats going on????

fastNugly @ BP 10-02-2012 09:50 AM

Man, wish I can provide more info here, but I too would like to know the answer to what happened.
Sounds like you need to take it to the dealer though

RamTech 10-02-2012 10:13 AM

I would guess that the MDS ceased functioning. Did you by chance knock the transmission out of D into a numbered gear? This would disable the MDS and increase your fuel consumption.

fastNugly @ BP 10-02-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoparTech (Post 900563)
I would guess that the MDS ceased functioning. Did you by chance knock the transmission out of D into a numbered gear? This would disable the MDS and increase your fuel consumption.

Interesting.....but would it affect it by that much?

RamTech 10-02-2012 11:08 AM

It's possible, considering that you're effectively shutting down 4 cylinders when the MDS is active. He didn't mention an illuminated MIL, so I presume the engine is functioning normally.

fastNugly @ BP 10-02-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoparTech (Post 900597)
It's possible, considering that you're effectively shutting down 4 cylinders when the MDS is active. He didn't mention an illuminated MIL, so I presume the engine is functioning normally.

Makes sense....
what does MIL stand for?

RamTech 10-02-2012 01:45 PM

Malfunction Indicator Lamp a.k.a. check engine light.

crusher 10-02-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

+1

i would also think that maybe the shifter went out of D, causing the rpm to be higher and running in 8cyl mode always,..

other than that, could be a fuel line leaking but you would smell it

fastNugly @ BP 10-02-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoparTech (Post 900673)
Malfunction Indicator Lamp a.k.a. check engine light.

Got it! :smileup:

molina425 10-02-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

no i never switch into any numbered gears.i always leave it in drive.(dont know how to manually shift) and no lights came on or anything. didnt smell fuel either.it did happen once i was under quarter tank of fuel thou.i thought it might have had something to do with that.but idk.