DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   no water flow through radiator (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=123132)

jrdn 10-06-2012 08:26 PM

no water flow through radiator

I just put may motor together after tearing it apart and cleaing it and i fired it up the other day and the motor heated to about 250 in about 2 minutes of idling and my radiator wasnt even warm i replaced all the hoses and thermostat and still no coolant flow. The water pump isnt that old but could that be what the problem is. Any advice is helpfull thanks

GTyankee 10-06-2012 08:48 PM

Pull out your radiator & take it to a radiator shop
you could drive it there, & have them do it, but then you have Labor Charges
& you may hurt the new engine

The radiator shop will take off the tanks to access the Core
then they dunk it in a chemical to loosen everything up
then they run a flat Rod through each & every tube in the core
then they dunk the radiator back in the vat of chemical
then flush out the tubes with air & water
then they reassemble everything & pressure test it, while checking for leaks
they then repair any leaks, if necessary
then they paint it & give it back to you

Another option is to just buy a new radiator core & have your tanks installed on it

Consult the radiator shop on these matters

By the way, let the radiator shop buy anything that may be needed, going to a local parts store will cost you a lot more

with the newly restored radiator, the new upper & lower hoses & thermostat. You should be able to drive it for another several years

Good Luck

jrdn 10-06-2012 09:48 PM

Thanks for all the info ill ne gettin it done this week

Gen1dak 10-06-2012 10:20 PM

Are you sure you didn't just accidentally put the thermostat in upside down? Also, are you sure you got the correct water pump, meaning one for the Magnum? They turn opposite direction to pre-Magnum pumps, but the bolt pattern is the same.

jrdn 10-07-2012 12:20 AM

Ya im sure i put the thermostat in right and the water pump is the same one i had on there before i took the motor apart and worked fine before.

primo spaghetti 10-07-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gen1dak (Post 903921)
Are you sure you didn't just accidentally put the thermostat in upside down? Also, are you sure you got the correct water pump, meaning one for the Magnum? They turn opposite direction to pre-Magnum pumps, but the bolt pattern is the same.

the thermostat is what i thought too...if not in upsdie down, maybe faulty...cheapest fix first is my opinion..

Goatboy 10-07-2012 10:55 PM

I had an 86 Fiero that was notorious for getting a air bubble and would not let any water flow because of it. Not sure if that can be the case here. You can check both the pump and the stat by removing the stat. If it works after that, stat. If it still doesnt work, with the stat out, I would think you could loosen the inlet hose to the radior enough and see if there is any water flow? Am not mechanical so am not sure if the pump is on all the time or if something tells it to turn on. It would seem to me that its on all the time and the stat simply opens to let water flow. In which case if you loosened the hose while the truck in running, it should have enough flow to tell. I know in the fiero the air bubble was in the radiator and with the stat out the inlet hose had enough water pressure behind it that it was difficult to squeeze. When turned off, it was very easy. Just some ideas I have used. Good luck.