DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   whats the difference between dual mufflers and single muffler with dual inlet/outlet (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=123471)

BerryToyz 10-11-2012 02:46 PM

whats the difference between dual mufflers and single muffler with dual inlet/outlet

I've been searching for Maggie exhausts and came across alot so now im just wondering what the difference is between 1) Two single pipes running to each of its own muffler vs. 2) Two pipes running to one dual inlet/outlet muffler with a "y" vs 3) Two pipes runing into a "X" with its own mufflers. I looking for Hp gains/gas mileage/and a little kick of deep tone. Thanks for all comments!

Gantman 10-11-2012 07:34 PM

Hello BerryToyz. Well in my opinion, it depends on where you want the power to be bud. The low end benefits from having a little backpressure so I would have to go with a single in to a single or dual out type muffler. If you will spend most of your time in the mid range to wide open throttle, then definitely go with true duals with an X or Ypipe all the way bud. And seeing that BullyDog is releasing a tuner by mid November(as Clark@AutoAnything states), you will get the big three benefit, i.e., intake, exhaust, and a tuner.

BerryToyz 10-13-2012 07:04 PM

Thanks for the help. Would you say that one would benefit more than the other as far as HP?

Gantman 10-13-2012 08:24 PM

BerryToyz; the only real way of verifying HP gain is by throwing her on a dyno bud. If you take the plunge and have the money, I think a lot of people here would love to see data showing HP numbers with a stock, a catback system, and just dumped(turn down or cutout) right after the cats. But as to your question where max horsepower gain is at with exhaust systems; Always wide open and no restriction, until you hit the top of the powerband or limiter.

BlackHemI 10-17-2012 10:12 AM

yea true duals "supposedly" put out more power whether an h or x but no one will ever dyno a y pipe vs an x pipe vs a h pipe.

snrusnak 10-17-2012 02:17 PM

If sized appropriately, an x pipe, h pipe, and y pipe setup all are pretty close to equal in terms of hp/torque. Often times though people oversize y pipe systems and lose some low end power.

Don't listen to those who say you need back pressure for low end, or whatever else they come up with. That myth will never die. Regardless, it is false. Back pressure is ALWAYS bad for hp potential, you want free unrestricted flow. What most people don't realize is too big of a diameter exhaust pipe will slow down exhaust gas velocity, causing a loss in power.

BerryToyz 10-18-2012 02:24 AM

Thanks for the anwsers. So if their close in hp/torque would it be worth paying the extra $100 bucks for a second muffler for the true duals??

jacksonsnorth 10-18-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 912905)
If sized appropriately, an x pipe, h pipe, and y pipe setup all are pretty close to equal in terms of hp/torque. Often times though people oversize y pipe systems and lose some low end power.

Don't listen to those who say you need back pressure for low end, or whatever else they come up with. That myth will never die. Regardless, it is false. Back pressure is ALWAYS bad for hp potential, you want free unrestricted flow. What most people don't realize is too big of a diameter exhaust pipe will slow down exhaust gas velocity, causing a loss in power.

I agree snrusnak, i have never seen a drag racing car (I am sure they are going for max hp and speed) with mufflers. All you see is fire coming out of straight pipes right off the engine. :) I am thinking they know the scoop.

BlackHemI 10-18-2012 08:48 AM

just buy a dual inlet muffler and single out and flip it so the 2 are connected with the duals...chefred has this set up and im going to do mine like this so i dont have to buy another muffler

snrusnak 10-18-2012 08:52 AM

Yeah really the most cost effective way is a y pip setup with single muffler, doesn't matter if the y pipe is before the muffler or in the muffler. It will perform basically the same as a good dual setup with crossover. You might leave a couple hp on the table but it's significantly cheaper and also keep in mind lighter. Is 5 hp worth 10 lbs? I dunno....maybe?

With your truck, don't go larger than 2.5" for the duals before the y pipe and don't go larger than 3" for the single after the y pipe.