DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   ..... Rear drive shaft is gone ..... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=123774)

MARINEMEGACAB06 10-15-2012 08:32 PM

..... Rear drive shaft is gone .....

hey guys, hope this is the correct place to ask this. i'll try to sum up the history. i have a 2006 2500 5.9 megacab, since day one it vibrated through out the truck, felt it in the steering wheel, the floor boards & the head rest actually shook when i hauled my aluminum triton 3 place atv trailer. well, i would have to say over the course of a few years, i've taken it to the dealer apprx. 10+ times on the vibration alone...they said they were aware of the problem but no fix:Wow1: apprx. 2yrs. ago was the last time i took it to the dealer for this problem & was told by there #1 mech. that the dodges were made to vibrate a little blah blah blah. so i took it as a "sorry but go eff yourself" well now fast forward to last night & a BIG BOOM BANG RATTATAFRIGGAFRATMOTHRFUKERBITBANGBEEEM...best way i can type the way it sounded. the female spline yoke assembly attatched to the trans, end & also attatched to the rear drive shaft, flew out the back & was almost impaled in the kids play ground fence, THANK GOD OR SOMEBODY THAT IT WAS AT NIGHT & NO KIDS WERE PLAYING. guys i need advice, phone #'s, contacts, ETC... i stopped by a shop, they said something about dodge revamping whole drive train system, saying it was not heavy duty enough from stock & that there is no recalls & it will probably run me 3000+ smoolaaas to upgrade it:SHOCKED:. i feel the dealer should fix free of charge due to the fact that from day one i complained of this. please help thank you. NEWBIE

brad12kx 10-15-2012 09:03 PM

I moved this thread to the Help Zone to increase your chances of getting an answer. :)

MARINEMEGACAB06 10-15-2012 09:08 PM

thanx, i'm new & the site is a little confusing...alot of advertisements & crap pop up, thanx again.

MARINEMEGACAB06 10-23-2012 05:26 AM

anybody have any answers or suggestions????????

RamTech 10-23-2012 09:06 AM

Call Chrysler customer service and tell them the story. They may choose to intervene on your behalf. 1-800-CHRYSLER

dodge man 11-01-2012 01:50 PM

I'll just add thats its a common problem, and that they are known for eating u-joints, which is what probably failed. The techs should have known to check that.

MARINEMEGACAB06 11-20-2012 11:17 AM

thanks for the info. guys...UPDATE: on my dime, i R&R the front & rear drive shafts, truck road alot better, i knew this & told this to the mech. for years:doh:. the mech. that installed them pointed out to me that the universal joints were shot...i inspected myself & the one on the right front was ready to explode. he installed new after market ones but had to burn & cut off my hubs due to the fact that the DODGE DEALER when replacing the first set of joints failed to apply NEVER SEIZE to the hubs f%#&*^%$#. well, when hubs were off he pointed out that the ball joints needed to be replaced, i inspected & they were all loose, so more money & parts & finally the truck is fixed. next was suppose to be the recall H46 ???, dealer just called & said it was not a recall but an upgrade:smiledown:. anybody know anything about this?

GTyankee 11-20-2012 11:32 AM

SAFETY RECALL H46 – MOPAR STEERING LINKAGE
Dear: (Name)
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle
Safety Act.
Chrysler has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in some 2003 through 2009
model year Dodge trucks.
The problem is... During a prior service appointment, a Mopar service parts steering linkage may
have been installed on your truck (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx). The drag link inner
joint may fracture under certain driving conditions. This could result in a loss of
steering control and cause a crash without warning.

Also, the steering damper bracket at the tie rod tube may loosen. This could allow
the bracket to slide on the tube and may cause increased vehicle turning radius.

http://www.dodge.com/universal/webse...ce/pdf/H46.pdf

MARINEMEGACAB06 11-20-2012 01:37 PM

thanks for the info., the dealer told me the recall doesn't apply to my truck, they inspected it & said the steering is fine. they told me that my right side tie-rod end is loose, so i had a rep. from dodge call them to make sure cause in the recall letter it mentioned the tie-rod might become loose??? they called the dealer & of course they said "NO".