DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   DPF-Back Exhaust Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=123790)

DrumMedic 10-15-2012 11:06 PM

DPF-Back Exhaust Kits

I am looking into purchasing a new truck with the 6.7. I want to keep the warranty as long as possible, so I was investigating the DPF-back kits.

Do they add any real sound to them? I've been searching YouTube and the forums to videos or sound clips and can't find anything. My goal is to add a little noise without having to do the deletes until closer warranty expiration time.

oldbluehairhemi 06-29-2014 09:17 PM

hopefully someone chimes in I wanna know too. same boat as you.

brandonjansen 06-30-2014 02:29 AM

A DPF back kit won't do anything for sound. The exhaust is fully muffled by the cats and DPF filter. Just put a tip on your stock exhaust and call it a day.

oldbluehairhemi 07-12-2014 08:28 AM

I ordered a magnaflow dpf back kit from xdp. should be here this week. will let you know what I think after the install.

Hemilvr 09-12-2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldbluehairhemi (Post 1446972)
I ordered a magnaflow dpf back kit from xdp. should be here this week. will let you know what I think after the install.

I just got off the phone with Magnaflow to ask some questions about the filter back exhaust cause I see absolutely no difference in the tubing other than cosmetics so I* asked them what real world benefits could I expect. Unfortunately the guy at magnaflow told me that not much hp gain and maybe a little better sounds at higher rpms. There is not much of a system they can make because of the new regulations. Basically like one member said "put a tip and call it a day".

Hemilvr 09-12-2014 06:32 PM

Unfortunately I think the days of modding diesels is gonna be short lived. Ive done a lot of searching and with the egr and dpf systems on the 13's and newer no one can make much of anything without throwing a code. Edge is the only company with a tuner for them and granted it gives you 150hp more and 360 ftlbs of torque because there is no egr delete out there all you will do is kill the turbo vanes with soot and have to replace the dpf filter sooner which is about $2000. With that said if you want to put a full exhaust and delete the egr and dpf you will have to buy a 2012 or earlier model cause the companies that offer them can only offer them for those years.

brandonjansen 09-12-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemilvr (Post 1483716)
Unfortunately I think the days of modding diesels is gonna be short lived. Ive done a lot of searching and with the egr and dpf systems on the 13's and newer no one can make much of anything without throwing a code. Edge is the only company with a tuner for them and granted it gives you 150hp more and 360 ftlbs of torque because there is no egr delete out there all you will do is kill the turbo vanes with soot and have to replace the dpf filter sooner which is about $2000. With that said if you want to put a full exhaust and delete the egr and dpf you will have to buy a 2012 or earlier model cause the companies that offer them can only offer them for those years.

Just for the record. The Edge Juice with Attitude for a 2013+ Cummins is technically not a tuner; it's just a fooler module. It's taking the signals from the sensors and altering them before they get to the ECU. Bully Dog is currently the only company offering an actual tuner for the 2013+ Cummins.

Hemilvr 09-12-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1483724)
Just for the record. The Edge Juice with Attitude for a 2013+ Cummins is technically not a tuner; it's just a fooler module. It's taking the signals from the sensors and altering them before they get to the ECU. Bully Dog is currently the only company offering an actual tuner for the 2013+ Cummins.

Oh ok.... my bad. Is the bullydog better or make more power than Edge? I mean for 2k on the bullydog vs $979 for edge I hope its better.

brandonjansen 09-12-2014 08:55 PM

Yes the Bully Dog is definitely better since it's actually tuning the ECU rather than fooling it. I'm not sure what the cost is on the Bully Dog, $2000 seems a little high. I know they recently came out with a new cable that allows it to be tuned without sending in the ECU to be unlocked (which was $2000).