DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Aftermarket Torque Converter Issue (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=123810)

sself510 10-16-2012 12:24 AM

Aftermarket Torque Converter Issue

I installed a circle d TC with a 3000-3200 stall. Once installed, I noticed an immediate issue off the line with the new converter. when I tried to power brake it and bring it up to the new stall, the RPM's stopped at 2500 and would bounce at 2500 give or take a 100 RPM's, never reaching the higher stall, or having the feeling of the vehicle attempting to spin the tires or move forward. Then I also tried a WOT take off from a dead stop, needless to say that didnt work either. It once again jumped up to 2500 RPM's and would bounce the RPM'S slightly moving the vehicle, and once I reached 5-10 mph it would jump to the new stall and take off like it was supposed to. I can part throttle it from a stop and once I exceed 5-10 mph I can then WOT it without experiencing any problems, but only doing it that way will bypass the issue. I havent been able to figure out the problem, and cannot find anyone else experiencing the issue.

I contacted circle d and was told it wasnt the TC it was in their opinion a fail safe in the computer not liking to amount of slip happening with the new TC. But they didnt know what I could do to fix the issue, and only heard of this problem one other time, but didnt know what was done to fix the issue.

So being very upset and not knowing what to do about the problem, I reinstalled the factory TC and do not experience any issues.

If anyone can help me figure out what is going on i would greatly appreciate it, I am open to any suggestions except tearing into the transmission.

catsltd 10-16-2012 06:55 PM

Sounds like you had traction control still on.
That will do it every time.
I cant believe you installed it,then changed it back out again for the Piece of shit stock converter.
I assume you reset your adaptives also.????
My Cirle-D stall works flawlessly,wish i had seen your post earlier,maye could have helped.

sself510 10-17-2012 12:07 AM

No, it's not traction control I had it completely off using my programmer, and even had it dyno tuned to try and get rid of the issue, but they didn't know what to do about it either.

GhostR1der 10-17-2012 01:21 AM

I haven't heard of anyone else having problems with stall converter in our trucks. That's an odd issue. Did you do the install yourself?

If you go WOT from a dead stop what happens? It should rev to 3k or so then take off like a scalded ape.

sself510 10-17-2012 01:49 PM

Yes I installed it myself, checked my clearance to make sure I didn't need any spacers, and put it back together. Everything installed nice and easy like it was supposed to.

After install, I waited about 50 miles until I ran a WOT test. From a dead stop at WOT it will only jump to 2500 rpms, then like the computer or something is holding it back, it hesitates for 1-2 sec, the jumps to the correct stall and takes off.

snrusnak 10-17-2012 03:44 PM

It's likely the computer programming. For kicks, tune the truck to stock and try it again, see if the diablo tune is effecting it.

No issues with my 2010 4.7L with a ~2700rpm stall.

BE CAREFUL power braking it, the trans gets hot FAST.

sself510 10-17-2012 06:51 PM

I have tried the stock tune, and I also disconnected my battery let it sit over night, and reconnected it to reset the computer to relearn the new converter, but the problem still existed.

sself510 10-17-2012 09:47 PM

I didn't get the line booster with my TC. Does anyone think that could help my issue?

snrusnak 10-17-2012 10:18 PM

I've heard nearly all bad about those. If you see how they work they really can't help.

And I don't have one on mine and it operates fine.

bighemi04 10-17-2012 10:37 PM

wish I could help, i think you need the transengineer