DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Road-trip! any advice? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=123852)

SIC09 10-16-2012 07:06 PM

Road-trip! any advice?

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right spot to post this, but figured it would be the best one.

Anyways, Im about to get out of the US Army, and will be driving 2200 Miles next month. Ive always flew, so this will be my 1st road trip. I just bought my 09' Ram CC a few weeks ago, so wasnt sure if there is anything certain i should bring? (besides the obvious). I just figured there were people on here that have done long road trips that could give out advice from there experience. As of right now its just me and my pitbull driving up to upstate NY from El paso, TX.

Thanks for any info!

GTyankee 10-16-2012 08:04 PM

I drive a lot, most are long distance
in July & August, i drove from San Diego to El Paso & Midland, then i turned North up to Lubbock & Amarillo & caught the I-40 & I-44, up to the I-70, I-71, I-90 into Buffalo & Canada

on the return trip, i took the I-40, I-30, I-20, & I-10, i didn't post all the routes, because i was down in Connecticut too

I carry a First Aid Kit, Flashlight, & plenty of liquid on ice, as well as a few tools
i also carry road flares & safety triangles, but i didn't have to buy them, the job that i do, requires them
i usually do a Oil change, filters, & check my tires before each longer trip,

i try not to buy gas in New York, silly taxes raise the prices, way UP

Have a good trip
El Paso to Texarkana can be done in one day, if you are starting out fresh
new 80 MPH speed limits in some parts of Texas, soon to raise to 85 MPH in some areas
:)

bighemi04 10-16-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 912082)
I drive a lot, most are long distance
in July & August, i drove from San Diego to El Paso & Midland, then i turned North up to Lubbock & Amarillo & caught the I-40 & I-44, up to the I-70, I-71, I-90 into Buffalo & Canada

on the return trip, i took the I-40, I-30, I-20, & I-10, i didn't post all the routes, because i was down in Connecticut too

I carry a First Aid Kit, Flashlight, & plenty of liquid on ice, as well as a few tools
i also carry road flares & safety triangles, but i didn't have to buy them, the job that i do, requires them
i usually do a Oil change, filters, & check my tires before each longer trip,

i try not to buy gas in New York, silly taxes raise the prices, way UP

Have a good trip
El Paso to Texarkana can be done in one day, if you are starting out fresh
new 80 MPH speed limits in some parts of Texas, soon to raise to 85 MPH in some areas
:)

Everything he said, plus a gun

davidgcet 10-16-2012 10:23 PM

agreed, food/drink are a must as are everythign listed above.

i would also get a gas can and keep an extra couple gallons in it. it is amazing how you can "zone out" and not realize you just went past the last gas for 50 miles and can only drive another 30!

another tip is get a prepaid cell phone on a different style carrier than your normal cell. usually if you are in an area where CDMA won't work, GSM will. and vice-versa. i carry an AT&T prepaid and my normal contract CDMA phone. and there have been times on the road where that came in very handy.

SIC09 10-17-2012 05:38 PM

thanks for the help

sanddperformance 10-19-2012 12:27 AM

I always carry toilet paper you never know when you are driving with no place to stop and have to go.