DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Cashier's check safe? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=123903)

snrusnak 10-17-2012 01:50 PM

Cashier's check safe?

Hey guys I've never used any other methods of payment when selling items other than cash or paypal, and I'm selling an intake manifold to a guy that says he just got the internet and doesn't even have email. He is on a forum though so that sort of boggles my mind lol. I've talked to him on the phone, seems legit. He said he can send me a cashier's check(or personal check) and after I cash it send the item, which sounds good to me. Once I cash the check and it's in my account, nothing can go wrong.....right?

Thanks in advance...

rdsabin 10-17-2012 02:12 PM

Wrong, if you cash the check and the bank finds that it has non sufficient funds or it is a closed account or stolen check they will reverse the depostit of the check thereby leaving you stuck for the amount.
The only way to ensure you don't get burned is to deposit the check and then wait for almost 10 business days for it to clear. Once it has cleared then ship the item. Most people will not agree to that though. So if he can give you a check why can't he get a US Postal Money Order or some other form of secure payment.

Just my opinion. Good luck, and if he is on the net then he has a email address.

99gp 10-17-2012 02:17 PM

He has to have an email. I have not seen a forum that you didn't have to one to join

DOZER 10-17-2012 02:23 PM

I agree with both of these statements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdsabin (Post 912941)
Wrong, if you cash the check and the bank finds that it has non sufficient funds or it is a closed account or stolen check they will reverse the depostit of the check thereby leaving you stuck for the amount.
The only way to ensure you don't get burned is to deposit the check and then wait for almost 10 business days for it to clear. Once it has cleared then ship the item. Most people will not agree to that though. So if he can give you a check why can't he get a US Postal Money Order or some other form of secure payment.

Just my opinion. Good luck, and if he is on the net then he has a email address.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99gp (Post 912942)
He has to have an email. I have not seen a forum that you didn't have to one to join

GTyankee 10-17-2012 02:37 PM

I pay my Rent with a Cashiers Check
When i bought my Ram, i gave the dealership 2 Cashiers Checks, $10,000 each

When i get the Cashiers Checks, the Credit Union that i bank with, takes the money from my account, before the Cashiers Check is handed to me.
The issuing bank can be called & verification can be done as soon as the check is in your hands

snrusnak 10-17-2012 02:42 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I'm still a little confused, but send him a PM saying I am ok with it as long as I hold the intake until the money clears into my account...when that will be I don't know...I'll ask the bank I guess...

snrusnak 10-17-2012 02:42 PM

Good point about needing an email for a forum too.....didn't think about that...

snrusnak 10-17-2012 02:46 PM

What about a personal check? If he sends a personal check, I cash it, wait for it to clear, once it's cleared I send the part. Nothing can go wrong with that right?

He said he's fine if I wait until it clears but he was going to send a personal check just because it's easier. If I'm waiting for it to clear I don't see why it would matter...

HemiLonestar 10-17-2012 03:02 PM

I'd insist on a money order.

ShawnC13 10-17-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 912968)
What about a personal check? If he sends a personal check, I cash it, wait for it to clear, once it's cleared I send the part. Nothing can go wrong with that right?

He said he's fine if I wait until it clears but he was going to send a personal check just because it's easier. If I'm waiting for it to clear I don't see why it would matter...

Wow rare here to find people still using cheques. If you PM'd him and he responded alredy how did he know he had a PM with out having an email? Money order is a guaranteed. I have always purchased money order and use paypal now. The thing about even sending a personal cheque out is that now that person has your bank account information as well.