DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   2010 Ram 1500 OEM brake controller (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=123919)

eriemariner 10-17-2012 05:15 PM

2010 Ram 1500 OEM brake controller

I installed a OEM brake controller from MOPAR on the subject truck with the trailer tow package. At the time the OEM controller came only on the 2500. I had the dealer put in the controller sales code so that the controller showed up on the EVIC. I pulled a trailer this year in April over 2000 miles and it worked great. In September 2012 the first day 200 miles out on a 4500 mile trip it failed. The chimes would go off and my trailer brakes were intermittent. At first I thought it was a connection problem. I checked out the wiring on the trailer and the truck connection. I couldn't find a problem. I took the tuck to a local dealer and they told me the controller was bad and I had to wait a day to get a new controller in. They installed a new controller. I then went back to the campground and hooked up my trailer and had the same problem. In frustration I spent $250.00 to have an after market controller installed at a local RV dealer.
I drove another 4300 miles with out a problem on the after market controller. I had to reset the "Check the trailer brake system" fault in the EVIC each time I started the truck. I went back to my home dealer for an oil change and had them remove the sales code from my engine controller. Now I don't have to reset the fault. I am happy with the new after market controller and I have the old trim bezel to install once I pull out the OEM controller. I would appreciate any feed back from anyone that has had a similar problem. I would like to find the root cause.

Thank You

clatla 01-05-2013 08:07 PM

I am having the same problem. I have been pulling my hair out for days checking and rechecking the trailer wiring. I am about to buy an after market controller and throw the factory one away if I knew it would solve the problem.

h2oman 01-06-2013 01:31 AM

It seems to be a regular occurance. Once upon a time aftermarket was the only option. Looks like it ought to stay that way.

eriemariner 01-06-2013 08:55 AM

I took the OEM brake controller out and put the little cubby shelf back in. It would have been nice to keep the OEM controller because it provides more knee room.

ONOutdoorsman 01-06-2013 09:59 AM

I too bought the oem controller and installed it after the fact. I did not get the sales code entered by the dealer. I towed 4 times last year without issue. Sorry to hear about your issue and I hope I don't have any issues because it is a nice clean install and I think it works very well.

clatla 01-09-2013 02:48 PM

My factory controller died so I am installing an aftermarket one. If any of you that installed the Dodge controller and still have the dash piece that you had to take out let me know. I need the tan color. Shoot me a PM.