DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   radio antenna reception on a sundance spa (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=124061)

crusher 10-19-2012 03:26 PM

radio antenna reception on a sundance spa

i have a sundance spa with a fm/cd/ipod receiver witch is a car/boat receiver and the radio reception is just okay

i was wondering if it is possible to ad something between the radio and antenna to get better reception

or if any of you now a very good antenna(car,boat or house), one that has very good reception

thanks everyone

Gibbonboy 10-19-2012 03:44 PM

You could buy an antenna amplifier, might be better off just getting a better antenna. Is this outdoors? Terk makes a lot of indoor antennas, not sure how well they work. Check Amazon for antennas, a lot will depend on how/where you're going to mount it. Automotive antennas are generally designed to operate with a metal ground plane, like the sheet metal in the vehicle. I used to live in a very poor reception area, I had one like this:

http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/fm-an...x#.UIGrsG_A96A

Now I generally make my own antennas. I can customize them to the location where I'm putting them so they're less obtrusive. Just keep in mind that smaller antennas are always a compromise, comparing apples to apples, size does matter for antennas. Hope this helps.

crusher 10-19-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibbonboy (Post 915481)
You could buy an antenna amplifier, might be better off just getting a better antenna. Is this outdoors? Terk makes a lot of indoor antennas, not sure how well they work. Check Amazon for antennas, a lot will depend on how/where you're going to mount it. Automotive antennas are generally designed to operate with a metal ground plane, like the sheet metal in the vehicle. I used to live in a very poor reception area, I had one like this:

http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/fm-an...x#.UIGrsG_A96A

Now I generally make my own antennas. I can customize them to the location where I'm putting them so they're less obtrusive. Just keep in mind that smaller antennas are always a compromise, comparing apples to apples, size does matter for antennas. Hope this helps.

thanks

yes this is a outside spa

did this new ccrane antenna gave you better reception?

GTyankee 10-19-2012 05:30 PM

what is the Brand of the radio receiver
it does make a difference
is the radio mounted in the hot tub? or just close ?

there are things that can be added to the radio to boost or amplify the signal range
like a 50 watt linear, these may be considered illegal

another good option is to set a 20 foot pole into the ground & put a good antenna on the top of it & run the antenna cable over to it, or just put the antenna on your roof
This type of antenna is called a BASE MOUNT ANTENNA

a word of caution, when you set up a CB Base Station & set up the proper antenna for it, it quickly becomes addicting, then the MODs start

crusher 10-19-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 915555)
what is the Brand of the radio receiver
it does make a difference
is the radio mounted in the hot tub? or just close ?

there are things that can be added to the radio to boost or amplify the signal range
like a 50 watt linear, these may be considered illegal

another good option is to set a 20 foot pole into the ground & put a good antenna on the top of it & run the antenna cable over to it, or just put the antenna on your roof
This type of antenna is called a BASE MOUNT ANTENNA

a word of caution, when you set up a CB Base Station & set up the proper antenna for it, it quickly becomes addicting, then the MODs start

lol

the radio is mounted in the hot tub but i dont remember the brand,
i'll look and post back on monday when i'll be back to work,.

thanks for the help

i'll probably try buying a good antena and get it on top of my gazebo

Gibbonboy 10-20-2012 01:01 AM

The C Crane FM antenna gets phenomenal reception, if you're not in a "fringe" area, it can be too much, you'll get multiple stations on frequency. Also, it has an "F" connector, most automotive radios have a "Motorola" connector, so you'd need an adapter.

Receive amplifiers are perfectly legal as long as they conform to FCC Part 15, which will be 99.9% of purchased electronics. Anything that transmits is more strictly regulated, you won't need to worry about that in your case.

Find the best outdoor-rated antenna you can afford, put it as high as you can, keep it in the clear away from large metal objects (and powerlines!), you'll be golden.

crusher 10-20-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibbonboy (Post 916014)
The C Crane FM antenna gets phenomenal reception, if you're not in a "fringe" area, it can be too much, you'll get multiple stations on frequency. Also, it has an "F" connector, most automotive radios have a "Motorola" connector, so you'd need an adapter.

Receive amplifiers are perfectly legal as long as they conform to FCC Part 15, which will be 99.9% of purchased electronics. Anything that transmits is more strictly regulated, you won't need to worry about that in your case.

Find the best outdoor-rated antenna you can afford, put it as high as you can, keep it in the clear away from large metal objects (and powerlines!), you'll be golden.

that maybe my problem, my gazebo is made of metal so i'll try to get my new antenna away from it

Gibbonboy 10-20-2012 11:24 PM

If the roof is all metal, you might get good results with an automotive antenna, as long as it's mounted right to the roof, and no part of it is below the edge. The metal roof will act as a pretty good ground plane. Otherwise, high as you can and away from metal.

brad12kx 10-23-2012 09:21 PM

^^ :iagree: ^^

If the gazebo has a metal roof, it will make a good ground plane which is what an automotive 'Needs' to function. Gibbonboy knows want he's talking about here. :smileup: