DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   2012 supercharger prep....am I missing anything? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=124144)

UNBROKEN 10-20-2012 09:41 PM

2012 supercharger prep....am I missing anything?

I wanna get everything I can in order before I throw a supercharger on this thing. Being as I've been in the diesel world heavily for the past 8+ years I've kinda forgotten some things with street gasser motors.

Here's what's in place now:
180* t-stat
OEM V6 electric fan
Moe's Performance 85mm throttle body
JBA ceramic coated headers
Custom mid-pipe
Magnaflow cat-back

Once the blower is on I plan to add a cam that's better suited to forced induction but that'll come later.
I have some gauges coming to keep tabs on things, a wideband A/F gauge, boost and fuel pressure.

Am I missing anything that can be added now in preparation? Moe's has a couple of 87mm TB's out for testing, I'll be swapping up to one of those if all goes well with them.

catsltd 10-20-2012 11:16 PM

I would consider a better converter.

UNBROKEN 10-20-2012 11:21 PM

The R/T comes with a 2600 stall converter and 4:10 gears with posi....those were the main reasons I bought the truck.

HEMI450HP 10-20-2012 11:23 PM

Next step is going to be a higher stall converter unless you just end up going with the full blown tranny. Even if you arent going to go with the full transmission, I would still add an aftermarket converter to go with the blower. You will be amazed at how bad the factory converter is, even with you having the 2600 stall RT converter.

UNBROKEN 10-20-2012 11:30 PM

More than likely I'll be going with an ATS full trans with converter....although I talked to a buddy at Suncoast today and he had some interesting things to say too.

HemiLonestar 10-21-2012 12:51 AM

How do you intend to tune it?

UNBROKEN 10-21-2012 12:57 AM

There are tuning options on the way apparently. Arington was working on a PCM swap to tune, RIPP was doing something similar. I sent RIPP a message tonight to see if they're gonna fall back to the Diablosport like their 09/10 kits for tuning.

jlibert 10-24-2012 12:45 AM

What supercharger are you looking into?

It seems like stock fuel systems are keeping up with low boost applications. If you're looking into serious boost, you might consider an upgrade there.

FromFordtoRAM 10-24-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN (Post 916800)
There are tuning options on the way apparently. Arington was working on a PCM swap to tune, RIPP was doing something similar. I sent RIPP a message tonight to see if they're gonna fall back to the Diablosport like their 09/10 kits for tuning.

Quick question for you and sorry it's a bit off topic. Coming from a long time in the diesel world, I figured you'd be the best person to ask. Why are these tuners that are coming out so much less productive for gas engines? I put the Hyper-tech on my F-250 and it was unbelievable how much faster as well as how much torque I had! The horse power gains are nowhere near what is done for diesels! Is it because of the turbo?? Thanks in advance!!:smileup:

GhostR1der 10-24-2012 04:41 AM

Turbo is the largest reason. You do some hefty exhaust work and crank up the Boost and instant fun.

One if the largest gains with the gas cars I have seen was with the STI crowd. They do exhaust and tune. They pick up like 80hp an 120tq. You put 320 HP and all that TQ in a little car and have a rocket :)