DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Programmer and DPF pipe (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=124204)

GKersey7318 10-21-2012 05:33 PM

Programmer and DPF pipe

I am getting ready to buy the H&S Mini Max, I thought all I would need is a delete pipe. Not sure if I need the one with bungs or without? Also, the guy that I am buying the delete pipe wants to buy my dpf and Catalytic converter. My question is why would he want to buy it, and should I keep it so if needed I could re-install to get my yearly inspection. Do I need it for the yearly inspection? All I really want is better fuel mileage, the extra power will be nice but mileage is the main reason for the dpf delete and programmer. Not sure what the egr and cooler delete does, can anyone explain? Just need some good advice about this whole situation!

HEMI450HP 10-21-2012 06:18 PM

You are right down the street from me. The mini max is a great programmer, so you will be very happy with that. You dont need a delete pipe with bungs, but having them just makes the install look a little cleaner. I dont have bungs in mine, so I just zip tied the sensors out of the way. The tuner will get rid of any codes related to the DPF, so there is no harm in just tying those senors up out of the way.

As for your stock setup, the dpf and cat are worth good money. The material inside them is very expensive, so guys take them to the scrap yard for good money. I know of guys paying as much as $600 for the stock cat and dpf. You shouldnt need it to get inspected down here, but I would hang onto it just in case.

As for the EGR, I would get rid of that as well while you are in there. The EGR is actually worse for the motor than the DPF system. The EGR will dump alot of junk back into your motor which can build up in your intake system, manifold, and turbo. I had to replace the turbo on my 08 3500 because of this.

UNBROKEN 10-21-2012 10:30 PM

Who did you see about the delete pipes and H&S...what shop I mean?

Wandell 10-21-2012 10:37 PM

All you need at a minimum is the tuner and a DPF delete pipe, without bungs. When you delete the truck, you remove the sensors from the pipe. So if you get a DPF delete pipe with bungs, you'll have to plug them. Also, DPFs, cats and NOX filters cost a lot of money. They are extremely expensive. Some people need them because of their state emissions requirements/inspections. Also, some dealerships will want them if you trade your truck, or they may just deduct a couple thousand from your truck's trade-in so they can buy new ones. Also, the precious metal in them is worth money to recyclers. Outlaw scrappers have been cutting them off trucks for years now. There is a place online that will pay $500, sight unseen for the DPF, Nox and cat from any 10-12 Cummins.
Also, if you have a 2011 or 2012, you can turn off your EGR system with a H&S tuner. On the older 6.7's you have to unplug it. Removing it completely just cleans up the engine compartment
All you need at a minimum is the tuner and a DPF delete pipe, without bungs. When you delete the truck, you remove the sensors from the pipe. So if you get a DPF delete pipe with bungs, you'll have to plug them. Also, DPFs, cats and NOX filters cost a lot of money. They are extremely expensive. Some people need them because of their state emissions requirements/inspections. Also, some dealerships will want them if you trade your truck, or they may just deduct a couple thousand from your truck's trade-in so they can buy new ones. Also, the precious metal in them is worth money to recyclers. Outlaw scrappers have been cutting them off trucks for years now. There is a place online that will pay $500, sight unseen for the DPF, Nox and cat from any 10-12 Cummins.
Also, if you have a 2011 or 2012, you can turn off your EGR system with a H&S tuner. On the older 6.7's you have to unplug it. Removing it completely just cleans up the engine compartment

Craigeo 09-05-2013 04:53 AM

Great info, thnx

Iqudayo 09-05-2013 09:29 AM

I have my mini max and I love it. I have been running it for a month now just useing it as guages, the delete will be done this weekend I will be reporting back when all has been completed.