DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Cortex vs Flashpaq (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=124318)

primo spaghetti 10-22-2012 09:12 PM

Cortex vs Flashpaq

Based on Snrusnak's recommendation, im looking to get a superchips programmer for my ram with the 4.7 (no engine/performance mods) but i will likely do the exhaust and a CAI in the near future.

Ive searched with no real luck to determine the difference between these two programmers.

i know that someone will tell me to get the diablo predator, but it is discontinued for the 4th gen ram and the alternative is the diablo in tune...not sure if there is any input on that tuner yet.

thanks

Jeff

snrusnak 10-22-2012 10:24 PM

I've heard the intune has a lot of bugs. Diablo is fine but you know I recommend the superchips, I think it is better. More power from their tunes, and transmission control. IMO the only benefit of diablo is if you custom tune(heavy internal mods).

Get the flashpaq, the cortex is nearly identical. There are 3 differences:

1) flashpaq is red, cortex is grey
2) if you get cortex you get a 2 year(IIRC) powertrain warranty through SC (not needed...I've never known anyone that had issues with their powertrain from the SC tunes, even after 100,000+ miles of use).
3) the flashpaq supports gas chrylers models, the cortex supports gas and deisel. So if you one day bought a cummins ram you could tune it with the cortex(after unlocking it from the gas VIN).

So basically, get the flashpaq lol

primo spaghetti 10-23-2012 06:13 AM

ah you hit on an interesting point there for the cortex honestly...this gasser is just my stop before the diesel...

however, it will be a couple more years before i get teh diesel...and i think bullydog has the diesel market loced up in the sense of performance no?

snrusnak 10-23-2012 09:09 AM

Personally I'd save the money, get the flashpaq, and sell it when you're done. They might have a whole different unit out by then for the gas and diesels.

primo spaghetti 10-23-2012 04:08 PM

thats very true...

any risk with buying a used unit?

TheSatinPumpkin 10-23-2012 04:15 PM

Make sure its not vin locked.

SnoylCC5 10-23-2012 06:13 PM

Like Satin said, if its VIN locked then you are pretty much screwed. other than that not really

HemiLonestar 10-23-2012 06:33 PM

If it's VIN locked you have to buy an unlock to reset it.

primo spaghetti 10-23-2012 06:44 PM

yeah ill pass on the used one then...thanks for all the input

Moose612 10-23-2012 07:03 PM

Hey primo I have a flashpaq for sale. It is not locked to a vehicle. 215 shipped if your interested send me a PM I'll even do overnight shipping. if overnight is possible to canada lol.