DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Nightmare Rebuild question. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=124470)

Robizzle0191 10-24-2012 02:28 PM

Nightmare Rebuild question.

Ok so the engine is running just fine not smoking and starts right up. However now I have this annoying Knocking in the motor. First I'm like great now the Rods knocking awesome but after thinking about it not to sure. Its not to loud at idle and it will knock like 2 or 3 times then it will be quiet for 3-4 seconds then repeat the same thing. But when I hit the gas it gets loud as hell and it does spead up but still stayes at a steady speed and theres probably a good second or so between knocks. Also there are no Metal shavings in my oil. Anyone got any ideas?

RamTech 10-24-2012 02:36 PM

That could still be a rod. Other possibilities are a main bearing or wrist pin. Was this engine recently rebuilt and if so, what were the rod and main clearences?

Gen1dak 10-24-2012 03:55 PM

I second RamTech on that.

Robizzle0191 10-24-2012 04:27 PM

The engine wasnt fully rebuilt the heads gaskets were replaced. The first time we started up the engine and some how it was still letting coolant into the engine so we had the heads shaved 6/1000 and then same thing however i then found that one of the intake manifold bolts wasnt tightened down in the back after tightening that down no more problems but come to think of it, it didnt start the knocking until the head was shaved do you think maybe the valve might be hitting the piston and maybe the valves need adjusted or something. the truck only ran maybe 10 minutes at the most when the head gaskets went out i saw smoke out of the tail pipe and immediatly got the truck home then ran it the 2 times when i noticed it was still smoking from the intake manifold and before the heads were shaved and before that there was no knocking or even ticking.

RamTech 10-24-2012 04:38 PM

No, I don't believe you have a valve to piston clearance problem because shaving the heads a mere .006" isn't going to be enough to cause this unless too thin of a head gasket was used (assuming one is made that could cause this). You don't have anything adjustable in the valve train unless you converted it to a solid roller setup. I still believe you have a problem in the bottom end - most likely a rod bearing with main bearings and wrist pins running a respective 2nd and 3rd, IMO.

Robizzle0191 10-24-2012 04:48 PM

is there an easy way to check because I'm getting tired of tearing this thing apart seriously. And if it is that can the bearings be replaced from under the truck with the pan off and the motor still in the truck.

RamTech 10-24-2012 07:57 PM

The oil pan has to come off and the caps need to be pulled in order to visually inspect the bearings. If the crank needs work then the engine will have to come out.

03cobrakid 10-24-2012 08:21 PM

check your flex plate. I have had them crack and sound like a rod knock.??

miaram 10-25-2012 03:54 PM

Make sure your exhaust manifold is seated correctly and bolts are tight.

Robizzle0191 10-29-2012 02:36 PM

This might narrow it down I noticed and forgot to write it down sorry sometimes im retarded, but everytime it knocks the engine revs up not a lot maybe 100 rpm and it happens so fast it doesnt even register on the tach but you can hear it and you can feel the entire truck vibrate. One more symptom that might help narrow it down.