DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Lifting it the right way (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=124625)

dean98ram1500 10-26-2012 08:36 AM

Lifting it the right way

I am looking to lift my truck possibly about 2 or 3 inches, just for the lifted look and some bigger tires on the occasional offroad use, as well as not have to worry about blowing a differential and all kinds of other headaches with the drivetrain and I want to do it right, and for cheap, I plan on doing this entirely by myself, and want to know how to do it, and what are good brands to buy.
What should I have to do on a budget, I know I would have to extend the brakes lines and such, correct?
And also what would be a good brand for the money, not looking to spend too much, but decent quality,I already have 109k on the truck.
Thanks, Dean.

Okiespaniels 10-28-2012 03:37 PM

3 inch lifts are fairly easy...for an inexpesive one Tuff Country or Rough Country.

The problem is, once you've gone 3 you'll wish you'd done a 5 inch. Sadly, it's where doing it right requires more work..err money!

You'll want a better track bar for one. You can ones that are upgrades from the factory bar, but getting a bar that eliminates the ball joint design is your best long term option. There are many options to convert to a 3rd gen style bar but the best one out there is the DOR (Dodge Off Road) one.

The 3 inch lift limits you to 33 inch tires. 5 inches will allow you to run 35's but you really ought to run lower gears to do it right.

Up to 5 inches your stock brake lines will be fine.

dean98ram1500 10-29-2012 04:11 PM

Thank you very much

Phildo 10-29-2012 06:00 PM

On your truck a few inches is easy and cheap. Get a set of coil spacers for the front and a set of blocks and longer u bolts for the rear.

Okiespaniels 11-10-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phildo (Post 924351)
On your truck a few inches is easy and cheap. Get a set of coil spacers for the front and a set of blocks and longer u bolts for the rear.

This is not the correct way to lift...er build a suspension for a 2nd gen. It may be the worst!

Now before anyone gets hurt feelings, I'll explain why. Let's start with the front suspension.

When you add taller coils or lift spacers, you change the geometry of the front control arms and track bar. A rule of thumb is for every 2 inches you move the front diff back about 3/4 inch and uncenter it under the frame about the same amount. So a 3 inch spacer will move the differential off center about an inch.

This results in A. Caster issues (high speed handling), B. Off tracking or "doglegging" of the vehicle, C. Changes the sway bar link angle causing deflection and loss of handling, and D. Accelerates wear on the track bar and ball joints.

Lastly, having the axle off center in the wheel wells can cause tire rub, defeating the entire purpose of the lift! BTW the off center can be noticable when the vehicle is viewed from the front.

A proper front suspension lift includes longer control arms, track bar bracketry or a better bar, and longer sway bar links or drop brackets for the bar. That way your components function and can be adjusted to factory settings.

For the rear, stacking blocks is a no no for a proper suspension. In addition to the danger of them popping out, they cause spring wrap which over time damages and de arches the springs causing them lose lift.

kylegritt2012 07-12-2013 08:32 PM

I applaud you sir! For your knowledge and taking the time to educate someone who is about to ruin their truck. I work with a guy who has a poorly lifted truck. He has spent 3 maybe 4 times the money fixing the problems his lift has caused. Rather than buying a good quality lift in the first place. Being cheap can sometimes be the most expensive thing you can do.

Pacheco911 09-07-2013 09:29 PM

What would be a good quality lift? Something that includes everything?

Screamintrashcan 10-10-2013 10:42 PM

I know, I know opinions are like backsides, everyone has one.... I'm a very happy body lift man. OK said it. Keeps my CG low, & I like it that way! My 2 cents...

Howells 10-13-2013 11:44 PM

I have the rough country kit. Not a bad kit for the money. It's 5" lift and comes with everything you need almost. You might need new caster cam bolts as from my experience they don't come out. And I would suggest getting a track bar as this kit only comes with a drop bracket. The bracket will work fine for awhile if you don't off road. https://fbcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.ne...12597702_n.jpg

Pacheco911 10-20-2013 09:05 PM

What gears are you running btw?