DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Air Tool question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=124649)

EWC88 10-26-2012 05:49 PM

Air Tool question

So I was looking at buying some air tool's possibly a kit. Mostly looking at a impact wrench for the tires and they a ratchet wrench for misc bolts. I was looking at lowes at some of theres and prices do not seem bad at all, plus I get a discount.

My question is I have a air compressor already, but I am not sure if it'll operate the tools. It is a Campbell Hausfeld Iron Force Series: 5HP, 15 Gallon, 6.5 SCFM 40psi 5.1 SCFM 90psi, 125 max psi.

It then has a chart on it and it says operates tool intermittently.

Figured I'd ask you guys!

snrusnak 10-26-2012 05:53 PM

It will operate them intermittently, not continuously. Should be fine for the use you are describing. I have a similar compressor, with a little bit larger tank(IIRC it's like 25 gallon) and it operates all that great. I only get in trouble when I tried to use tools that require constant air like a sandblaster or chisel, etc...

EWC88 10-26-2012 05:58 PM

Ok cool, it's really on going be used for tires and bolts on truck. Is kobalt ok? Should I look for certain size for the tools?

Detroit3000 10-26-2012 06:02 PM

I use my impact and ratchet daily at work. I always date my tools when I buy them . The impact is from 12-07-00 and the ratchet is 2-15-01. Both are ingersol rand. I use and abuse them and they never quit..

snrusnak 10-26-2012 06:03 PM

kobalt is good tools. I know my kobalt toolbox has a lifetime warranty, not sure if everything they make does. My compressor and air tool kit was from lowes/home depot and is the same as what you're looking at most likely(CH Iron force). Same brand, sounds like you have a newer model. I bought mine about 6 years ago or so. It works fine. About a year ago I did have the drive pulley come off and had to put it back on(the retaining clip broke off). Was ~$1 fix. Not the greatest compressor ever but has never really let me down and it was cheap. All the tools/accessories have worked every time I've used them as well. I use it occasionally, not a lot.

GTyankee 10-26-2012 06:17 PM

you will run out of air rather quickly with the small tank compressors
i had a 20 gallon tank & i seemed to always be running out of air
I watched & waiting until i saw a compressor at Home Depot
it had been returned & reconditioned
i got it cheap & i don't run out of air

http://imageshack.us/a/img13/582/assortedmay2010003.jpg

EWC88 10-26-2012 06:24 PM

Yea lowes warranty is for everything, I use to work for them that's only reason I know. So does it matter on what size for the tools?

Gantman 10-26-2012 06:33 PM

I agree with everone as well EWC. I bought a small twin tank Hitachi air compressor for the garage and set it to 90psi output and it works great for my 12 year old half inch Craftsman Pro which is basically an Ingersol Rand in disguise. You know back in the days when LOWE's first came out, their Kobalt wrenches were actually a SnapOn product and said so on the back of the packaging until SnapOn realized it took business away from their mobile tool trucks. Just an FYI. I wish I would have kept the packaging from 2000. Yeah, you wont go wrong with LOWE's or Home Depot for the DIY'er. For lug nuts and suspension nuts and bolts, I'd recommend a half inch air ratchet or 18V Cordless impact driver. And for small bolts and nuts for say oil or transmission pans and front and rear diff covers, a 3/8 inch air ratchet or a 10-14V cordless impact driver will work perfect. Man your makin me want to go tear something apart just talkin about tools bud! Hahaha!

EWC88 10-26-2012 06:52 PM

Cool thanks everyone for the info! Gantman I never knew that about lowes with snap-on, they seem to not tell you that when you work there lol. Oh well I don't work there anymore but luckly still get the discounts lol. Like said I will only use for tire and also right now I will be doing ball joints soon so using tools to losing and tighten bolts.

snrusnak 10-27-2012 11:05 AM

For occasional, light duty use, you'll be fine with the lowe's/home depot iron force type brands.

I've been happy with mine, I think I paid ~$300 years ago. I will say though that now that I own my own home, have a 2 car garage, and am tackling larger projects that require more air, I will probably buy a large compressor like GT has in the next several years. I'll probably sell my current one and buy an even smaller one for light duty projects(this one takes up some space...). It's amazing how fast a garage fills up with some large tools...