DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   big brake kit (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=124792)

molina425 10-28-2012 06:51 PM

big brake kit

will soon be putting on some 26 inch wheels with new tires and am wanting to upgrade my brakes.
i have been doing some looking around but not wanting to spend $3000 plus for most of the big brake kits ive found.i have also seen some for 500 price range.anyone have any input as far as a good kit with a fair price.looking for the cheapest price i can find.

CdnoilRAM 10-28-2012 09:45 PM

have you though about just upgrading your current braking system rather than a front caliper/rotor swap? You could upgrade your pads and rotors with something like the EBC sport rotors and greensstuff pads (or raybestos pads and hawk rotors) and put in a braided brake hoses, those will make some differences in how your braking feels. Having done mine in similar fashion with the 22" upgrade definately helped without having to do a full swap.

molina425 10-28-2012 09:56 PM

Well tell you the truth i dont know much if any about brakes and things like this at all.i just know i dont really need the big brake kit but is deffinetly a smart thing to get.so im hoping to get it.and i am really looking for like a complete kit that i can just order and have it installed instead of trying to piece it all togethor.my thing is im not looking to pay more than about 600 for the kit.so im looking for the cheapest place to order one and maybe websites to search for some on.

molina425 10-28-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 923512)
have you though about just upgrading your current braking system rather than a front caliper/rotor swap? You could upgrade your pads and rotors with something like the EBC sport rotors and greensstuff pads (or raybestos pads and hawk rotors) and put in a braided brake hoses, those will make some differences in how your braking feels. Having done mine in similar fashion with the 22" upgrade definately helped without having to do a full swap.

i went onto autoanything and was looking at the brakes so i now understand what you were talking about.that does seem to be a much cheaper way to go.well i am looking at the Powerstop brand kits right now.they seem to be pretty good and include everything i would need and not too pricey either.what do you think about those??

CdnoilRAM 10-28-2012 10:16 PM

Well, you won't find a big brake kit for that price, but you will be able to upgrade you stopping power with the setups I mentioned. I personally have been extremely happy with my EBC upgrade that I ordered from AutoAnything 3 years ago, and it's only now that I have to think about a big bake kit because of my hp level.

I would look at AA, specifically for the EBC sport rotors, green stuff 6000 series pads for the rear, and sreenstuff 7000 series for the front. When I'd been looking 3 years ago, AA was the best price I could find, plus they have free shipping. Now, if you can find a stainless braided kit for your year I'd get it too, I know ProComp is making one for the 4th gens, so have a look at it http://www.andysautosport.com/dodge/...c22001777.html

Hope this helps

CdnoilRAM 10-28-2012 10:18 PM

The powerstops are OK, but wouldn't be my first choice. When it comes to brakes, any rotor will work as long as it's true, it's the pads that do all the work, so look at quality pads.

molina425 10-28-2012 10:42 PM

should i get a set for both front and back?? or would i only need everything for the front of the truck??or just back?? im trying to compare price diffirence right now

InDeepWaterBlue 10-28-2012 11:25 PM

A big brake kit isn't needed for these trucks unless your pushing CDNoils power levels lol I upgraded to StopTech Rotors and upgraded the pads to Hawk's and the truck stops better than stock. Wish they made those lines when I upgraded too :smileup: