DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   header discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=124813)

redlightmike 10-28-2012 10:23 PM

header discussion

After the tuner and fastman, my next mod will be headers. As of right now the only longtubes i know of are 1500 bux, well im a poor boy that cant quite justify spending that kind of cash on a set of headers! For shorties there are a couple good choices, jba and bbk (eta late next month), and these are alot cheaper. I have a buddy with a 05 or so rumble bee that has ran both, shorties first, then pacesetter long tubes. He said that the shorties didnt help much at all and the longtubes were a night and day difference. What is everyones input on this, and what kind of gains have you seen from the shorties?? Should a guy just lay back and wait for different companies to release longtubes?

CdnoilRAM 10-28-2012 10:30 PM

Shorties do make a difference in the mid-top end of the RPM range, which is where our trucks really don't need the help. Unless you're winding your truck up at every opportunity or at the track then LTs are what you want. You may want to check out eBay, there is a company on there (can't remember name right now) that does bargain priced LTs from 304 stainless and they're pretty good with fitment, you'd just want to have a look at them before install for bad weld spots.

Bully's Performance 10-28-2012 10:35 PM

long tubes vs shorties, well i would take long tubes everyday of the week over shorties when they are available at decent prices though, however i have the JBA's on my truck right now and there is a noticeable difference, i am getting pretty close to 15+ horse power and 24lbs of torque, i have it paired with a CAI which added a little bit of horse power too, now match that with a nice custom tune and you could likely get another 40-50 hp with the tuner. Now with longtube headers you could get close to 30 hp to the wheels alone, pair that with a CAI and get another 15-20, with a custom tune ad another 40-50, the pair that with hi flow exaust and cats ad another 10-20 hp :)

just me 3 cents for the evening

so some quick math

base hp 390
long tube 30
CAI 15
hi flow exaust and cats 10
custom tune 40

new naturally aspirated HP generated by relativly cheap bolt on's 485 hp and thats on the low side, these trucks could easily hit 500 hp with what is listed above and a good custom tune

chefred112 10-28-2012 10:53 PM

hehe...if it were only that simple, no way you get 500 with just those mods...

Bully's Performance 10-28-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefred112 (Post 923627)
hehe...if it were only that simple, no way you get 500 with just those mods...

you are right its not that easy but it sounds good really good and adds up on paper

well advertised 2012 ram 5.7l if it was really 390hp it could be achievable, on my 08 ram 1500 i had long tubes, CAI, hi-flow cats and muffler, with a custom tune and was able to achieve 110 hp gain, that may have been after the cam and port and polish too though i can't remember ive got dyno charts somewhere i will try and find them when i get home and post them up :)

on 93 octane fuel of course :)

chefred112 10-29-2012 12:10 AM

most know how heavily modded and quick of my truck and there is no way I'm at 500hp.... I can dream though...

chefred112 10-29-2012 12:38 AM

I'd love to see your dyno's with those mods...have you takin the truck to the track?

Bully's Performance 10-29-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefred112 (Post 923700)
I'd love to see your dyno's with those mods...have you takin the truck to the track?

i havent had either my 08 or my 12 at the track i had a 07 regualar cab i took to the track a few times, and like i said on paper it would work, i was making a funny. and of course these 09+ rams dont really have 390hp either, my 08 i was hitting 403 hp at the wheels, my 2012 has a CAI, shorty headers, will have hi flo cat and muffler soon, my average hp stock with 3 pulls at roughly 300 miles on the engine was 305.2(i have no idea where these slips are so im not even gonna look as these numbers are consistant with many other stock pulls on the net) when i get home this upcoming friday i will call and schedule another dyno to see what hp gain i see with my CAI, shorty headers, hi flo cat and muffler that will be going on this upcoming weekend, then when the tunes become available i will do another one and report, i am going to guess without the tuner i will see a 30-50 hp increase then with the tuner 70-90 so i should be between 375 and 395 hp to the wheels once everything is said and done.

Then next year pro-charger or supercharger haven't made up my mind yet, or maybe go with a tuner ideal and do dual turbos we will see :)

DOZER 10-29-2012 12:59 AM

I've always been a fan of long tubes. I ordered a set of ARH with the cats and Y pipe. Also have a Magnaflow "14 3" SI DO 2.5". Mention the forum and they take some $ off! Probably going to do a TB just not sure which one. I may also swap out my Vararam.

Bully's Performance 10-29-2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOZER (Post 923719)
I've always been a fan of long tubes. I ordered a set of ARH with the cats and Y pipe. Also have a Magnaflow "14 3" SI DO 2.5". Mention the forum and they take some $ off! Probably going to do a TB just not sure which one. I may also swap out my Vararam.

what are you thinking of swapping the Vararam for?