DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Kills and More Kills (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   98' Chevy 1500 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=124987)

acs0424 10-31-2012 11:15 AM

98' Chevy 1500

So I met up with my buddy for a midnight release at a gamestop....I actually just ended up meeting him there by chance. Nonetheless, he liked my truck. And he had the 98' Chevy 1500 mentioned in the title. He got his game a few people before me so he started home earlier, but I ended up catching up with him at a light. Asked him if he wanted to go, and he agreed. Light goes green, we both hammer it. Honestly, I was expecting to blow him away off the line. But I didn't pull away until about 75. His truck has a 5.7 chevy crate motor in it if I recall correctly, and I know with him being a regular cab he's a good bit lighter on the weight side of things. In any case, this isn't as much of a kill as it should have been. Which leads me to a couple questions.

1) Anyone know much about those chevy 5.7 crate motors? I knew he had it, but his truck was a 98' and really wasn't expecting him to keep up with me for as long as he did. Only had half a car, if that, on him.

2) Is there a proper way to "launch" our rams? I'm still learning with it (got it recently) so all I did was floor it. Did I miss something?

Come spring time I won't have this problem :smileup: but if anyone could answer my questions that'd be much appreciated. I'll notch this one in the win column, but just barely.

S.C. Express 10-31-2012 11:44 AM

The Chevy 5.7 crate engines are in the mid 300 hp and even higher on tq rating. They are to be respected as you found out. He may have had one of the higher tuned versions making 400 horses..
If you get a tuner it will free up the power that the traction control is killing off the line. Dodge has been programming the ecm's in their cars for years to make them safer to drive.. You should see how bad the t/c is on the 2012's.. My truck won't even spin a tire from a dead stop full throttle launch. Once it starts rolling though, it's gone and you are doing 90 before you know it.
Young guy disclaimer; PLEASE be careful racing this truck! These trucks weigh as much as two passenger cars! That is an arse of weight to loose control of, which is real easy to do in a hard braking situation.

acs0424 10-31-2012 03:29 PM

Wow, didn't know that about the 5.7. That would explain why he kept up! And yeah, I can spin the wheels from a stop (actually during this race, both of us spun our wheels for about 5 seconds before making any real progress) but I do notice way more pulling power once I'm moving.

I plan to get a tuner, cold air intake, and exhaust come spring time. Should be putting close to 400 HP and 430 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels, so I shouldn't barely win again :smileup:

And regarding driving the truck hard, thanks for the tip. I'm well aware it's a hell of a lot different than just about every other vehicle out there to drive. I usually take it easy but sometimes I can't resist beating another truck :box2:

In any case, thanks for the info on the 5.7 crate motors. Considering the motor and the weight difference, I definitely understand why he was able to keep up with me.

Another question for y'all - does dropping it into 2 or 1 do anything to make it faster off the line or something? I've read a few threads where people mention this and they end up blowing people away.

99gp 10-31-2012 03:37 PM

When I race I ALWAYS manual shift my truck. If its from dead stop I drop her in 1 and then shift up, if its a roll I use 2.... I get my ass handed to me in D

acs0424 10-31-2012 03:48 PM

Good to know 99gp, good to know. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I gotta show of the Hemi. Thanks.

Edit: What exactly are 1 and 2? Are they first and second gear? Cause that's what I'm thinking but I'm not sure. Still learning my way around the car/truck world.

GTyankee 10-31-2012 04:03 PM

if he has the 350 LS1 crate engine,
don't be surprised at what it is capable of
i had one in my 1956 chevy 1/2 ton, i ran a Street & Strip Racing Cam from http://schneidercams.com/

http://paceperformance.com/b-4508-27...oodwrench.html

acs0424 10-31-2012 04:06 PM

Damn...I think I'm gonna get some more details from him on exactly what crate motor it is.

EDIT: First message with my buddy, he knows it's a 350 V8 but claims he's only pushing about 260 HP and 330 ft/lb or torque. Those numbers are significantly different from what has been mentioned here. Any ideas as to why this could be? Could he just be wrong?

EDIT #2: In talking to him more, he says it's the stock 350 engine. So...those numbers would be about 260 HP and 330 ft/lb torque. I know his truck his lighter (reg cab short bed) but I wouldn't think that would make up for the pretty big power difference. Now I'm lost on this, haha.

BrandonMski 10-31-2012 04:38 PM

My brother has a 96 Chevy 1500 with a crate engine with the 4x4 700r4. It pushes about 330 hp and (don't quote me on this one) 380 ft lbs. He is fast off the line but once we hit around 45-50mph I get the lead. I told him he should take the engine out of my Camaro that I built. 400+ HP not sure on torque.

There is a reason why 350s are an extremely favorable engine, cheap power.

Also, when manually shifting your auto trans be careful. I'm pretty sure how that I messed up my trans in my first car and my first Ram. The car might have been from mud running a front wheel drive :4-dontknow:

acs0424 10-31-2012 04:41 PM

Yeah that's what happened between me and him, once we hit highway speeds I started to pull away. And then we came to another light shortly thereafter.

BrandonMski 10-31-2012 04:45 PM

I'm not sure what his gears are but that could make a difference also. I do my best to beat any Ford and import that I can. My truck once beat a 6.0 Powerstroke. Then the driver (same brother mentioned above) got a speeding ticket lol