DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Engine Stuttering, no throttle response/popcorn sounds from hood (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=125333)

ArmySoldier22 11-04-2012 10:50 PM

Engine Stuttering, no throttle response/popcorn sounds from hood

Hey everyone,
I have a 2003 Ram 1500 with a 5.9L. I have had an ongoing issue with my truck. It always starts up fine on the first turn of the key. Except during the first few minutes of running it, I run into the same issue (usually when engine is cold).
The issue is: basically when I put the gas pedal down and there is no throttle response. The engine does not rev in rpm's, instead there are popcorn noises from under the hood. This goes on for about 2-3 min of stuttering and sometimes getting throttle response and sometimes not. Although after that little amount of time the truck runs fine, with only a little delayed throttle response every now and then.

I talked to my local mechanic and he said he thought it may be the fuel pump, so I had him do a fuel pressure test. The truck failed the test, so I spent a little over $300 for a new fuel pump and install. I thought this work fix it, but the problem still continues. Any ideas of what could be the problem? Is there something else that could have affected the fuel pressure test that could be malfunctioning, other than the fuel pump?

Thanks for any advice/help with this!
-Andrew

RamTech 11-05-2012 10:14 AM

Sounds like a clogged up converter to me. Your "mechanic" should have done a back pressure test and I suspect the fuel pressure test result was bogus.

ArmySoldier22 11-05-2012 11:46 AM

I was considering cleaning out the throttle body as well. What "converter" are you referring to that may be clogged up??

RamTech 11-09-2012 10:00 AM

Catalytic converter.

ArmySoldier22 11-10-2012 01:48 PM

I had the CAT cut off and checked. It passed the back pressure test, and the O2 Sensors look good. Still hasn't fixed the problem. I've also done the following to try to fix this:
-Cleaned throttle body
-Replaced spark plugs
-Replaced Idle Air Control Valve (IACV)
-Replaced Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
-Replaced Map Sensors
-Replaced Crank Sensor

Any other suggestions? Thanks a lot!

RamTech 11-10-2012 01:55 PM

Next step is to verify the cam/crank timing. You may be able to do this with a scan tool showing the cam/crank difference in the data stream, otherwise, you get to tear into the engine.

Gen1dak 11-11-2012 12:13 PM

You cannot judge O2 sensors by how they look. They have a finite lifespan.

major324 12-02-2012 12:24 AM

something awry in the computer or as stated the cam position sensor also i found in the past i had the nasty dodge timing chain severly streched and skipped teeth the computer tried to compensate but would not accelerate without a lot of back talk as the computer will only adjust if within a certain range.

RAM2003 07-01-2013 09:45 PM

I have the same truck with the same issue. I just replaced the TPS sensor with no luck at fixing the problem. Were you able to fix te issue and if so what do you recommend?

DJFriar 10-06-2013 03:46 PM

I had this exact issue on my '97. Replacing the fuel pump fixed it.