DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   best bang for my buck (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=125404)

clean99 11-05-2012 09:31 PM

best bang for my buck

hi there i have a 99 1500 with the 5.2 (318) and was wondering how to increase my fuel mileage. i know doing an intake and exhaust will do wonders but is there more i can do like sparkplugs, wires, and coil? will that help or is that more of a money waster?

ramvan2500 11-05-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clean99 (Post 930401)
hi there i have a 99 1500 with the 5.2 (318) and was wondering how to increase my fuel mileage. i know doing an intake and exhaust will do wonders but is there more i can do like sparkplugs, wires, and coil? will that help or is that more of a money waster?

Well a multiple spark ignition will help with ensuring a complete burn. But without radically changing the engine there isn't much you can do. You have to increase the volumetric efficiency on this engine to get better mileage, especially since it sits in a heavy un-aerodynamic truck. I am sure Gen1Dak will come in a say something to argue against me but just my 2 cents here.

clean99 11-06-2012 02:25 AM

Oh okay well thank you I'm keeping an open mind to what ppl tell me. I have to do some more research but I thought I'd ask here first cause I know there are a lot of ppl that have probably asked the same question. Lol. I'm just after a bit of extra power and a little better fuel efficiency. Thanks!

BrandonMski 11-06-2012 06:45 AM

You can change your gear ratio.

ramvan2500 11-06-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandonMski (Post 930708)
You can change your gear ratio.

That might not work, see if he increases the axle ratio he will have better acceleration, but he may lower his top speed depending on the specifications of the rest of the drivetrain and might not get better mileage since the engine will be operating at a slightly higher speed. If he gets with a smaller axle ratio, he won't have as good an acceleration and may actually get worse mileage because the engine might lug especially in 4th gear. A 3.55:1 axle ratio is really the best of both worlds for these trucks.

ramvan2500 11-06-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clean99 (Post 930678)
Oh okay well thank you I'm keeping an open mind to what ppl tell me. I have to do some more research but I thought I'd ask here first cause I know there are a lot of ppl that have probably asked the same question. Lol. I'm just after a bit of extra power and a little better fuel efficiency. Thanks!

It is difficult to get more power and fuel economy without altering the engine.

Gen1dak 11-06-2012 09:41 PM

Install a vacuum gauge and drive as much as possible at or near peak vacuum (even if that requires locking out the OD at lower speeds). When people change gearing they often actually accomplish this without even knowing it. They just see improvements and think, "Hey, that works!" They never ask why. After that you're left with improving in efficiency. Higher flow air filter, cold air induction, a better intake manifold, roller rockers, synthetic oils, free-flowing exhaust. A shift kit in the transmission will improve function, but there's only so much one can do with an OEM transmission. Aftermarket high-quality guts reduce parasitic loss. Same for moving up the stall speed with a better aftermarket torque converter. Improved ignition spark is always a plus. Cheapest and most immediate will be the vacuum gauge.