DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   I'm embarrassed about having to ask this, but... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=125485)

Omaste 11-07-2012 12:49 AM

I'm embarrassed about having to ask this, but...

:wavey: I just brought home my 2003 Ram 1500 SLT. With 105706 miles on it. When I checked the oil I saw that it needed some. My question is, how does a person get the oil filler cap off of a 2003 4.7? I can get it to turn from about one o'clock to two o'clock. But I can't get it to come off. I have pushed, pulled, tried to slide it sideways, and it won't come off. It will only turn about an inch. Being 63 years old I have taken caps off most kinds of engines. And being a retiree from Chrysler's 2.7, and 3.5 engine assembly plant in Kenosha Wisconsin I know how to remove a cap. But not this one.

Tomorrow I'll post some of the weird problems this Ram has. Electrical problems.

Thanks in advance.

GTyankee 11-07-2012 04:17 AM

strange problem indeed
i hope someone has the answer

Omaste 11-08-2012 11:27 AM

One of the guys I know that have a Ram came over yesterday. He couldn't get the cap off either. He suggested using a small pipe wrench or a large pair of pliers. I tried that, and SNAP!! it started turning! It was like someone had used superglue or something on it. There was no trace of anything being used, just signs that the cap had not been removed in a long time. Then I added 3 quarts of oil. The other suggestion he had was to just go to a place like Jiffy Lube or Walmart, and have them do an oil change on it. Then they would have to remove the cap.

RamTech 11-08-2012 11:34 AM

These caps are notorious for doing this. Each time you have it off, put a light coat of fresh oil on the o-ring on the cap and this will help prevent it from sticking so badly.

bigdaddyII 11-09-2012 06:49 PM

This makes me remember back to the first time I changed the oil in my 2002 Ram. I was scratching my head and finally took a big channel lock and off it came. I ended up buying another cap, it never did come off easy but at least I didnt have to have a tool to get it off.

02 Ram 11-09-2012 06:55 PM

same problem i had, took me an hour to get it off. finally did get it off and havent had any problems with it since. though i did break the little dipstick it has in there. mine was sludged up and i think thats why i couldnt get it off to begin with. second oil change is when it broke from me trying to wipe it all down real good

HemiLonestar 11-11-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02 Ram (Post 933523)
same problem i had, took me an hour to get it off. finally did get it off and havent had any problems with it since. though i did break the little dipstick it has in there. mine was sludged up and i think thats why i couldnt get it off to begin with. second oil change is when it broke from me trying to wipe it all down real good

Not a dipstick...factory put it there to hide some of the sludge from the owner. There was TSB that came out about it earlier in the 4.7 production run.

02 Ram 11-11-2012 01:00 PM

yeah, i didnt mean dip stick. looks like a cover to keep oil from splashing out, or hiding sludge like you said. thing is a pain