DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   ?Exhaust Help? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=125510)

Vickers-SLT 11-07-2012 12:26 PM

?Exhaust Help?

I've got a 2011 Quad Cab SLT Ram with the 4.7 in it. I'm looking for a louder exhaust, nothing too loud, I just want something with a grunt to it when it starts and I get into the gas. I was wondering if I could run a Flowmaster after my stock exhaust, or if I would need to cut my stock exhaust off and maybe add a second catalytic converter? Has anybody ever done anything like this? I've had louder cars and trucks before, but was too loud for the family. I'm looking for a little rumble, but nothing too loud. Any ideals out there guys? :thk:

99gp 11-07-2012 12:31 PM

I would cut out your old stock muffler and put a 24" magnaflow muffler in there

Vickers-SLT 11-15-2012 01:46 PM

I've thought about just replacing the stock muffler, I'm just worried that it'd be too loud. I've heard some trucks driving around town that have a little growl, but when they get on it, it's barely louder than it is at idle. I just can't seem to catch them in one place long enough to ask them about it.

Vickers-SLT 11-15-2012 10:50 PM

just talked to an exhaust guy. he said for what I'm looking for in a muffler, he would recomend a flowmaster 70series... looked them up on youtube.com and they seem to sound about right. anybody had any luck using them?

GhostR1der 11-15-2012 10:52 PM

I would say an 18 inch Magnaflow. It will give you a little more growl when driving normally and a lot more growl when on the throttle. I run a 14 inch Magnaflow and its not loud to me.

snrusnak 11-15-2012 11:49 PM

18" or 24" magnaflow or other straight through muffler.

Flowmaster is a sound only mod. They do not add hardly any performance. If you are doing the mod, you might as well get the sound AND the performance with a straight through muffler.

JMO.

Vickers-SLT 11-16-2012 12:51 PM

I understand the sound/performance mod snrusnak, not much use in doing one without the other. And GhostR1der, I had a Caliber R/T I traded in on the Ram, it had a DC Sports can and 2 glasspacks on it, and where I drive 8+hour trips quite often to see family, and drive alot for work, I just don't want something that will be too loud to hear my radio when it's on low, and when my wife is with me.

snrusnak 11-16-2012 01:23 PM

you'd probably be satisfied with a 24" maggy and keep the resonator.

GhostR1der 11-16-2012 02:08 PM

If you were used to any sort of loud exhaust and like it that way I would go with the 18 at a minimum. The 14 to me isn't loud inside and you can listen to the radio at low volumes no problem. You can hear it sure but not enough to have to speak louder or anything. I was disappointed with my 14 at first because it was quiet.

Vickers-SLT 11-16-2012 02:09 PM

I was thinking the same thing, and also looking at Mufflex. They're kinda high for a muffler, so I may just go with a Magnaflow. Thanks for the input guys!!!