DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Type of oil? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=125536)

Parabol413 11-07-2012 06:16 PM

Type of oil?

Hey guys I was just curious about which oil I should be using. I've done a couple oil changes since I've had my truck using 10/30 valvoline or pennzoil and orange can of death filters. I always do it right at 3000, but the oil seems a little dark, which could be Frams fault but I'm losing my point here.

My question is, when I do my next change should I switch to synthetic oil? I have heard comments about it making older engines leak but where the truck only has 65k on it I thought it might not be a bad idea if that's something that will keep the engine cleaner and expand its life.

It's a 98 5.2 if that matters.

I hear a lot of people tout Mobil 1 as a good synthetic, I really don't mind paying a few extra bucks for a higher quality product. Would you recommend the Mobil 1 filter as well? And how often should I change it? 5 or 6 k miles? And one last thing, I would still use 10/30 as recommended unless below freezing temperatures?

99gp 11-07-2012 06:20 PM

I run royal purple and a mobil 1 filter. Did a very good job of cleaning my engine... I switched from conventional oil at 87,000 miles and no problems at all.. Being as I switched from conventional oil the 1st oil change I only got 3k because it did a very good, job cleaning so the oil is really dirty. I plan to get 4k on this oil change, and then get around 5k on the ones after this

the persuader 11-07-2012 06:29 PM

I just changed to Mobil 1 5w-30 and a Bosch filter this weekend. I have 100k miles on the truck.

I ran that combo on my old 02 GMC Sierra and never had any problems. I would go about 5k miles between changes since I lived down a dirt road, but I could have probably gone longer.

Bosch is an all metal filter (not cardboard like Fram) and is only about $6.

Parabol413 11-07-2012 06:32 PM

Where can I find royal purple? I've only really looked in autozone but I do have an advance and a napa near me. And how many miles do you go between changes?

Parabol413 11-07-2012 06:35 PM

Alright thanks guys, 5k sounds good to me, its what the guy at the quick lube I used to work at recommended to customers but I wasn't sure if he was just being greedy. Then again we used some low no name synthetic there.

GTyankee 11-07-2012 06:37 PM

WALMART carries MOBILE ONE & they have it much cheaper at Walmart then most other places
I buy mine in 5 quart jugs, not the single quart size

you could use the 5w-30 year round, if you wanted, it won't hurt anything

you can't get AMSOIL or Royal Purple just anywhere
everyone carries Mobile One

the persuader 11-07-2012 06:45 PM

I agree. I usually buy at Walmart, but I was buying other stuff at Autozone so I picked it up there. It was $36.99 there and at Walmart it is $30-32 if I remember correctly.

Parabol413 11-07-2012 06:56 PM

Is there any difference in what you buy at Walmart? I mean it seems like a silly question but does oil have any type of shelf life? Because most of the things like that at Walmart have collected some dust before showing up at my Walmart, now that I think of it I'm not even sure my Walmart has jugs of oil.

Oh, do the jugs come in 5+ like conventional ones? I know it says 5 quarts in the manual but that always left me a little shy where as the jug was just where I wanted it.

GTyankee 11-07-2012 07:13 PM

oil doesn't break down until it is being used in the engine
it is not like beer or milk & have an expiration date

Walmart can't keep oil on the shelves here
they even keep the Mobile One synthetic right by the auto parts service center desk & it is rolled inside when the service center is closed

a 5 quart jug of Mobile One here is $29.99 at Walmart
at the auto parts stores, it is $39.99

99gp 11-07-2012 07:14 PM

Advance auto carries itand my local meijers actually carries royal purple even