DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Recently Purchased 2005 4x4 5.7 v8 hemi quad cab..mpg help please! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=125566)

jgregg6 11-08-2012 12:45 AM

Recently Purchased 2005 4x4 5.7 v8 hemi quad cab..mpg help please!

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums and know little about vehicles so I've been looking around at what you all have done to increase some mpg. I've only had this truck for around a couple weeks now. The last couple time's that I've filled up the truck I've only been averaging around 13 highway. The first time I got 13mpg was on pretty flat highway and the second time I got 13 was on some highway that had quite a few hills but nothing crazy(no mtns). I had some trouble right out of the gate with the ignition that was tied to a pc that went bad and had to drop some money so I haven't had a chance to buy anything to increase mpg but I'm hoping to soon and I need some help. I just got a fresh oil change a few days ago and I want to do all the small things first to try and increase mileage before moving up to the bigger things.

**I'm thinking...new spark plugs, K&N air filter, cold air intake and sometime a programmer to increase some HP and mileage..any thoughts/brands??

Right now I have some TOYO AT tires, 20s, they're wide but well aligned. The truck sits pretty high and is leveled out, no lift kit I think the tension bars are just torqued a bit. I'll be getting new tires in the next month or so but haven't decided on the type yet. I get on her every now n then but don't always drive with my foot in it. I'm optimistic and I know this truck can get better than 13mpg highway.

Any suggestions??

Josh

99gp 11-08-2012 01:06 AM

I would say ditch the stock exhaust and get a nice magnaflow. I can personally tell you that it will help your mpg (if you can keep your foot out of it). I would also change your spark plugs with a set of NGK 5306 copper plugs (here is my write up on them http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=122321). I can't say from experience on the CAI because mine is stock still or tuners. I have read many times that a tuner does help mpg (again if you can keep foot out of it)... I also switched my oil from conventional to RP synthetic

jgregg6 11-08-2012 01:13 AM

Right on thanks! Yeah I'll check that write up you posted and I forgot to say that I do have flowmaster exhaust.

catsltd 11-08-2012 10:32 AM

I would consider selling the 20s and getting 17 inch rims.
I would also get a Moes 85 MM throtlebody.
I would stay away from K@N and get a good AEM or any aftermarket CAI with dryflow filter.

A aftermarket 2600 stall will for sure give you better mileage.
Superchip with custom tramsmission tuning is a must.
All these things increased my mileage,I would quess 3-4 MPG.

Flowmaster should be called flowless,most fo there mufflers do not flow enuff CFM for a Hemi ram,Magnaflow is a good flowing muffer.
The stock y pipe has a crushed pipe,8RWHP just from changing that out.

With the 30% better fuel Mileage from these mods,the money you save on gas will probably pay for the mods in no time.

AJ@AutoAnything.com 11-08-2012 11:05 AM

Post some pictures of the truck, and welcome to the forum. Let me know if I could help out in anyway, we have a special forum discount that you can use on any of these products that were listed. As far as tuners, I personally like the Diablo brand but I am sure others will chime in with what they are using and like. Don't expect to see mileage drop right away with any of these products as it's going to be difficult keeping your foot out of it :)
-AJ

HEMI450HP 11-08-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsltd (Post 932493)
I would consider selling the 20s and getting 17 inch rims.
I would also get a Moes 85 MM throtlebody.
I would stay away from K@N and get a good AEM or any aftermarket CAI with dryflow filter.

A aftermarket 2600 stall will for sure give you better mileage.
Superchip with custom tramsmission tuning is a must.
All these things increased my mileage,I would quess 3-4 MPG.

Flowmaster should be called flowless,most fo there mufflers do not flow enuff CFM for a Hemi ram,Magnaflow is a good flowing muffer.
The stock y pipe has a crushed pipe,8RWHP just from changing that out.

With the 30% better fuel Mileage from these mods,the money you save on gas will probably pay for the mods in no time.

Great advice here. Its tough to argue with a night and day performance gain as well as better mileage.

jgregg6 11-08-2012 11:07 PM

Hey everyone thanks for all of the info. I need to do some more research and crunch some numbers and hopefully I can get some stuff soon! I'll try and get some pix up here soon as well.

BlackHemI 11-09-2012 02:24 PM

with our year hemi 13 is great, be happpy

jgregg6 11-11-2012 03:17 PM

I've heard good things about the Volant CAI and it's all enclosed but it's not a dry filter but it's a bit cheaper..which you get what you pay for..thoughts?

HEMI450HP 11-11-2012 05:40 PM

Both Volant and S&B are very similar kits and are about the same in price as well. You cant go wrong with either of these intakes.