DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   '05 HEMI stalling-NEED HELP (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=125712)

drb2005 11-09-2012 10:38 PM

'05 HEMI stalling-NEED HELP

Hello Ram brothers and sisters. I am new to this forum and I have a question. I recently purchased a used 2005 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 HEMI. I am having a problem with the thing stalling as I come to a stop. I have had the truck back to the dealership and they can't seem to give me a straight answer. I have had the tranny filters replaced and computer updated, the two things the dealership THINKS was the problem. The engine stalls when I come to a complete stop after I have had the speed above 25 mph. It stalls at the exact time the vehicle comes to a stop. If I take my foot off the brake just before it stops, I can usually avoid a stall, but not always. Sometimes I have to tap the brakes to stop. If I'm cruising along at 10-15 MPH and stop, it doesn't stall. I have done so much research on this problem and I've only gotten "suggestions" as to what may be wrong. I am looking for anybody who has had this problem with their vehicle and has FOUND A SOLUTION. I haven't taken it back to the dealership in months because every time I do, they keep it for 2-3 days, do some tests, can't find an answer and give it back stating "it's fixed." I was wondering, is there a sensor in the brake system that may be sending a faulty signal to the computer causing it to stall? Again, I'm looking for people who have had this problem and have found a solution.

RamTech 11-10-2012 01:17 PM

Sounds to me like the torque converter isn't unlocking.

MorePower 11-10-2012 03:15 PM

I havent had this exact problem, but I do have a similar on going issue with mine as well. I have an 04' and every time I fill up my gas tank it will stall when I come to a stop. Even if I fill up and then just sit there and let it idol, after a minute or two it will fight to keep itself running and then eventually just stall. Other times it will just stall as im slowing down coming to a stop. The catch is, it only does it for the first few miles after I fill up, usually after 5-10 miles it wont do it again until I fill up again. Doesnt exactly sound like they are linked, but is a problem that the dealership and several other mechanics cant figure out.

RamTech 11-10-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorePower (Post 934093)
I havent had this exact problem, but I do have a similar on going issue with mine as well. I have an 04' and every time I fill up my gas tank it will stall when I come to a stop. Even if I fill up and then just sit there and let it idol, after a minute or two it will fight to keep itself running and then eventually just stall. Other times it will just stall as im slowing down coming to a stop. The catch is, it only does it for the first few miles after I fill up, usually after 5-10 miles it wont do it again until I fill up again. Doesnt exactly sound like they are linked, but is a problem that the dealership and several other mechanics cant figure out.

Your mechanics need to be looking at the EVAP system for something like a stuck open purge solenoid that allows excess fuel into the manifold.

MorePower 11-11-2012 04:29 PM

If that were the case though wouldnt it be doing that all the time? It has only ever done it within the first 5-10 miles after filling up.

drb2005 11-16-2012 09:41 PM

RamTech- I started putting the truck into neutral as I'm coming to a stop and it does not stall or lose power. I assume, since the transmission is not engaged while in neutral, the torque converter wouldn't effect the engine and cause it to stall. Am I correct?

cignadude 11-18-2012 09:46 AM

Same thing was happening to me occasionally but not every time. Replaced my torque converter with an aftermarket one and it hasn't happened since. Even if it doesn't fix your issue, the upgrade is well worth the money since the TC's on the 1500's aren't the best.

09nitetrain 11-18-2012 10:26 AM

check your transmission fluid level, these dodge are fussy. even a qt low on tranny fluid they do what your describing. mine did, and also there is a spin on tranny filter in the transmission where they go bad cause a lack of fluid to the tq and putting them into lock up mode.

RamTech 11-18-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09nitetrain (Post 940155)
check your transmission fluid level, these dodge are fussy. even a qt low on tranny fluid they do what your describing. mine did, and also there is a spin on tranny filter in the transmission where they go bad cause a lack of fluid to the tq and putting them into lock up mode.

If you're referring to the bad batch of filters that got into some vehicles in 2006, they were causing delayed engagement issues.

brenforr 11-18-2012 03:33 PM

I am having the same problem. It generally does it a stops, particularly on a down grade. My transmission is also slow to engage. Can the two problems be linked? I, too, have had it "fixed" a couple of times and I am getting frustrated. If you find a solution, let know. And good luck.