DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Transmission help!? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=125856)

11BFollowMe 11-12-2012 10:35 AM

Transmission help!?
 
Alright guys so my tranny has never acted up before until it strated getting colder out i dont harp on the truck..All the time( i know bad) but its got 107 thousand and counting on it. the problem is going from first to second it studders and almost doesnt know to shift or not i cant tell if its going from first to second baack into first and then shifting or into third then shifting back to second all i know is it doesnt feel good at all.Any help is much appreciated.

ramvan2500 11-12-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11BFollowMe (Post 935374)
Alright guys so my tranny has never acted up before until it strated getting colder out i dont harp on the truck..All the time( i know bad) but its got 107 thousand and counting on it. the problem is going from first to second it studders and almost doesnt know to shift or not i cant tell if its going from first to second baack into first and then shifting or into third then shifting back to second all i know is it doesnt feel good at all.Any help is much appreciated.

Have you had the front band adjusted recently? Sounds like it might be slipping especially since you are having issues going into and out of 2nd. This is where I would start, 107,000 miles is nothing so it's probably something due to neglect (no offense but most people neglect two things, cooling system and transmission because it is the most expensive)

11BFollowMe 11-15-2012 01:04 PM

No not yet do you think itll be that cause if so that would be great hahah im hoping its somthing simple like that how would i check if it needs to be adjusted or should i just bring it to my trani shop and tell them thats what it could be

ramvan2500 11-16-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11BFollowMe (Post 938083)
No not yet do you think itll be that cause if so that would be great hahah im hoping its somthing simple like that how would i check if it needs to be adjusted or should i just bring it to my trani shop and tell them thats what it could be

Well only way to find out is to grab a wrench and get to work.

Gen1dak 11-16-2012 05:55 PM

If you're not doing the work, tell the shop you want fluid/filter change and both bands adjusted.

11BFollowMe 11-20-2012 06:26 PM

went to the shop qouted me at most 400 for the shift kit installed fluid and filter said he didnt wanna tweak the bands until he got a good look inside the pan

ramvan2500 11-20-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11BFollowMe (Post 942510)
went to the shop qouted me at most 400 for the shift kit installed fluid and filter said he didnt wanna tweak the bands until he got a good look inside the pan

$400.00, what a rip off. Well your truck so...

11BFollowMe 11-21-2012 03:43 PM

thats what i was thinking what do you think it should be

ramvan2500 11-21-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11BFollowMe (Post 943301)
thats what i was thinking what do you think it should be

well considering that for double the amount I could rebuild your transmission lol... something like a fluid change, band adjustment, and install a shift kit I would normally charge around 200. They are getting you on the labor I think because to install a shift kit though it doesn't take a very long time, shops like to take there time. And they take there time not to get it done right (because that never happens) but to make extra money. So it should be around 200, thing is a shop has overhead and employees and I do repairs out of my home so I don't have all that overhead and crap, but I'm not running a business, I just help out here there people that are short on cash and of course friends and whatnot.

You could opt to do it yourself, it's pretty easy all you need is an inch lb torque wrench and harbor freight has them on sale for I think it's 13 bucks so there ya go.

11BFollowMe 11-24-2012 07:19 PM

He said something about having to drill out the old springs


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger