DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Which cam is the best? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=126070)

Gecko 11-14-2012 09:22 PM

Which cam is the best?

So I'm thinking once I get my LT headers installed I'm going to get a cam and a higher stall torque converter. I was wondering what the best cam for an 04 QC Hemi would be? I know there is the different inertia cams and the sidewinder cam as well but I don't know the difference between any of them. Any help would be much appreciated!

chefred112 11-14-2012 10:25 PM

it's very subjective...where do you want the power..later at higher rpms? midrange? low end.. with qc's you don't really want a high rpm cam, you want something to move the truck from the git go (at least for me)... my first cam was a 6.1 cam, although performance was good as i got higher in the rpm band, I wanted something to help low end while just idling up. So I ended up going with a custom grind (214/218 @113) to get my powerband more in the middle (starts around 2500 rpms)....that custom grind worked so well that Stu made it a production cam called the Spartan. Til today it is still a great cam for me.

CdnoilRAM 11-14-2012 11:13 PM

What Fred said, you need to match your cam to how you plan to drive the vehicle. From your other thread I'd talk with a proper engine builder first because you need to start with the cam and develop the engine around that since it's what will determine your engine's characteristics. Fred has good advice when he says for a quad cam you should look at a cam that will have some more bottom end so you can get the truck moving, I personally run a custom cam from Inertia that is mid-high rpm, gets in around 3500 and 4500-6000 pulls hard.

Gecko 11-15-2012 01:51 AM

Haha I just put that other thread up to see if anyone had ever done that before. I don't have near enough money to even fathom attempting something like that. This on the other hand is way more my price range and do-ability. I guess I'd have to agree with Fred and say I wouldn't really need something for the high RPM range, but more something low to mid to get her going real well. I was just kinda curious cause I had seen all the stuff on Stu's website and didn't really know the differences or which would be better for my truck.

Gecko 11-15-2012 01:54 AM

I guess I really just want something that will throw me back in my seat. I love that feeling. A buddy of mine has an 06 Saleen Mustang with custom ground cams (and a whole bunch of other stuff) thats pushing around 850 HP and that thing pulls like nothing I've ever felt before. So I guess I'd be looking for something to make me pull real hard and make me have to remind my passengers to hold on when I get on it! :LOL:

BlackHemI 11-15-2012 08:00 AM

lol well his saleen is charged isnt it lol. your truck already throws you back in the seat lol what more do you want? i love playing with the gas pedal and looking over at the gf and watcher her move back and forth haha. id say do a low-mid like fred where it starts at 2500 ish, then hit it with a stall...perfecto!

chefred112 11-15-2012 10:21 AM

yea, a stall will surprise you...while gettin mine cut an cleaned I'm running around with the stock verter and i could tell the difference..it's still fast but the initial throwin into seat isn't as much..

Gecko 11-15-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHemI (Post 937866)
lol well his saleen is charged isnt it lol. your truck already throws you back in the seat lol what more do you want? i love playing with the gas pedal and looking over at the gf and watcher her move back and forth haha. id say do a low-mid like fred where it starts at 2500 ish, then hit it with a stall...perfecto!

Haha yea his Saleen is charged. And custom ground cammed, I believe ported and polished heads and exhaust and a ridiculous custom tune etc. :LOL:

And I know exactly what you mean about playing with the gas pedal :D I'm guilty of that too!

I guess because of having been in the Saleen before I want to have to tell my passengers to put their heads back and hold on :D

BlackHemI 11-15-2012 12:01 PM

lol its so much fun, i wonder if its because our suspension sucks or is it because we have enough power to do it...no other truck ive ever driven can do that lol

Gecko 11-15-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHemI (Post 938033)
lol its so much fun, i wonder if its because our suspension sucks or is it because we have enough power to do it...no other truck ive ever driven can do that lol

I'm gonna go with power! :D