DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Crazy negative(-) caster reading of -47??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=126155)

blackram99 11-15-2012 11:04 PM

Crazy negative(-) caster reading of -47???

After surviving a near catastrophe of pass side spindle shearing, I replaced it (salvage yard) and new rotor. As I have said in previous posts, the front end has been real loose as in wandering-feels like trying to drive in a hurricane, long before the spindle incident. On the alignment rack the tech said it came it at -52 on driver side and best he could get it to before running out of adjustment is -47. Now I know why it feels so bad.

Camber and toe were real close to correct before coming in and are in spec now.

What could cause such a negative caster? I've owned since new and never wrecked it. I've had two opinions on what to replace.
1. driver side spindle as it may be on it's way to breaking
2. driver side upper control arm.

Did you know the spindle is the same as the 99 neon and an aspen? Are you kidding me!

Carl

RamTech 11-16-2012 09:22 AM

Since caster is measured in degrees, these numbers don't make sense unless you are omittin gthe decimal between them. I'm assuming your truck is a two wheel drive since you mention a spindle. Unless the frame of the truck is bent, the most likely cause of caster issues is worn busings, a bent control arm, (upper, lower, or both) or spindle damage. I'm guessing this alignment tech isn't very savvy or he would be able to tell from the measurements and a visual inspection what the cause is.

blackram99 11-16-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 938771)
Since caster is measured in degrees, these numbers don't make sense unless you are omittin gthe decimal between them. I'm assuming your truck is a two wheel drive since you mention a spindle. Unless the frame of the truck is bent, the most likely cause of caster issues is worn busings, a bent control arm, (upper, lower, or both) or spindle damage. I'm guessing this alignment tech isn't very savvy or he would be able to tell from the measurements and a visual inspection what the cause is.

Thanks for the response. The actual number is -47.65 degrees on the driver side. I have been under the truck dozens of times and can't see any visual evidence of a problem. The driver side uca bushings were replaced 5 years ago. In the past 2 months, Every other front suspension part has been replaced short of the control arms, springs, and center link, No wrecks or other anomalies have occurred.

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that the caster is off on the opposite side from the recent spindle failure and that when making a right hand turn, the wheel does not want to return to center. I know this is due to negative caster, but why on the opposite side??

blackram99 12-03-2012 08:29 AM

Progress Update-

I must have had a bad batch of spindles because after shearing the pass side and a severely out of spec alignment reading on dr side caster, I replaced the dr side spindle and before re-aligning, it was almost in spec. With the alignment, it is 100% in spec. Finally can drive it without feeling like it's going into the ditch.

Carl