DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Is it worth it? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=126166)

Alaskan Hemisport 11-16-2012 04:06 AM

Is it worth it?

Found a superchips turner for my 03 4.7. Not really concerned about power, but it would be nice. Big focus on gain of mpg. Is it worth the cost ofbthe turner for the turner? Whatbare real world results?

Also, thinking about doing some redneck (read cheap) mods to the exhaust. Had a 3"straight pipe on my hemi truck and loved it, wondering what it would sound like on this truck. Exhaust is pretty rusted, I was thinking of cutting the pipe after the the cat's and running a 3" flex pipe to a side dump in front of the rear tire. Does flex pipe give a good seal or does it leak?

snrusnak 11-16-2012 09:42 AM

From my experience, flexible exhaust pipe sucks and doesn't last. Don't run anything larger diameter than 2.5" duals or 3" single for your exhaust or you'll lose power.

SC tuners are great, don't expect a whole lot in terms of mpg though, MAYBE a couple mpg at best. Results really do vary. I gained a couple mpg on the 93 tune.

Alaskan Hemisport 11-16-2012 02:02 PM

Good to know about the flex pipe. I was planning a single 3. That's what I had on the semi truck and it was a rumbly beast. I'm still on the fence about the turner. In the cold, my truck is only getting about 11mpg in town so I am getting a little desperate lol

snrusnak 11-16-2012 02:07 PM

wow that's terrible mpg. My dad averages 17mpg with his 2005 4.7L "work truck" single cab long bed 2wd.

Alaskan Hemisport 11-16-2012 02:19 PM

Right?! Mine is a 03 quad cab short bed with rear wheel. Just changed the spark plugs and we think they are the original plugs and were used for 140000 miles. I think there is a lot of build up in the motor cause its pretty doggy after 60mph or going up hills. Gonna try some seafoam and an oil change next.

Also, when the temp hits -25 or -30 nothing gets very good mpg ...or run much after that lol.

snrusnak 11-16-2012 02:27 PM

True about the temperature. Honestly my dad's truck is somewhat sluggish on hills. The older 4.7 is alright but not fast. Did you stick with oem plugs?

Alaskan Hemisport 11-16-2012 02:34 PM

Sure did! Champions all the way. Learned that leason with the older hemi. I knew this wasn't going to be a fast truck. I bought in pretty poor condition and been working on it. I just dont know what's norm for this motor. I've also got a surging idle problem between 400-1000. When we replaced the plugs it doesn't die anymore but it does still surge and I can't help but think thats contributing to my poor mpg

snrusnak 11-16-2012 02:37 PM

any lights on the dash?

Alaskan Hemisport 11-16-2012 02:45 PM

Not a single one. It threw a del awhile back, but got cleared when we're working on the battery and never came back. I've heard that if an idler pulley comes loose it can cause it. Or a sensor by the cam/crank could .be loose

snrusnak 11-16-2012 02:58 PM

do you know what code was thrown with the cel?