DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.7 Liter V6 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Ford Taurus Electric Fan Swap Questions!?? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=126383)

Dhawk13 11-19-2012 10:25 AM

Ford Taurus Electric Fan Swap Questions!??

Hey guys i was reading around a couple forums on the Ford Taurus electric fan swap to replace the clutch driven fan.. Well I have a few questions before i do this.

1) What year model Tauruses have this electric fan i can use?

2) What are the benefits of doing this mod?

3) Are there any cons of doing this?

4) Is there somewhere i can go online to tell me how to do the swap?

Thanks for your time, Dhawk

emjohn4 11-19-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhawk13 (Post 941181)
Hey guys i was reading around a couple forums on the Ford Taurus electric fan swap to replace the clutch driven fan.. Well I have a few questions before i do this.

1) What year model Tauruses have this electric fan i can use?

2) What are the benefits of doing this mod?

3) Are there any cons of doing this?

4) Is there somewhere i can go online to tell me how to do the swap?

Thanks for your time, Dhawk

The early '90's with the 3.8 had the correct fan. Not sure of years, perhaps 91-93? Has to be the 3.8.

You'll gain a bit of power by removing the clutch fan, but IMHO, it's not worth it. The wiring can be tricky, even for experienced mechanics, and controlling the speed is another issue; both due to the amount of current the fan draws. I found that a two-speed Volvo relay worked well for the high/low speed operation, but you'll still need to figure out how to trigger it.

Ultimately, you'll free up a few HP; but you'll lose the reliability of the factory e-fan and clutch fan.

I did the swap on my '02 Durango and '02 Dakota. Gained 1 mpg on the Dakota, nothing on the Durango. Best part? No clutch fan roar. Worst part? No real benefit for all the work.

There are lots of how to's on the web, some from downright scary (such as using a solenoid as a relay), to excellent.

emjohn4 11-19-2012 11:32 PM

Here's a good link:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225174

Dhawk13 11-20-2012 12:51 AM

Thanks a bunch! Do you happen to know if it will throw a engine code when i put the 180 degree thermostat. I was wondering because thats what some of the forums are saying to do with the swap.

emjohn4 11-20-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhawk13 (Post 942022)
Thanks a bunch! Do you happen to know if it will throw a engine code when i put the 180 degree thermostat. I was wondering because thats what some of the forums are saying to do with the swap.

No, you shouldn't have any issues with a 180* thermostat and throwing a code.

Some people have had this issue if they live in a cold climate, but it's somewhat more rare than commonplace, even in the cold climates.

Dhawk13 11-20-2012 01:00 PM

Okay thanks a bunch!

I plan on getting the fan, the haynes controller, 180* thermo, and more wiring.

Is there anything else i need before i start?

I saw some people were saying to use a bigger relay. Do you know what size relay would be best?

emjohn4 11-20-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhawk13 (Post 942285)
Okay thanks a bunch!

I plan on getting the fan, the haynes controller, 180* thermo, and more wiring.

Is there anything else i need before i start?

I saw some people were saying to use a bigger relay. Do you know what size relay would be best?

I went with the volvo two-speed relay for the fans, and a 60a relay for the ignition (so the fans would not run without the ignition on).

I have not heard good things about the Haynes controllers and longevity on the taurus fan.

You're starting to see why the taurus fan is such a PITA... :158:

HemiLonestar 11-21-2012 08:03 PM

You may lose A/C effectiveness at low speed. My truck will turn into an icebox even at idle, whereas my wife's Jeep with just an electric fan won't get decently cold until you get moving at speed (which is why she is getting the heavy duty cooling kit with clutch fan).