DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   impromptu T-Day offroad adventure with old dude! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=126730)

Bikenut 11-24-2012 01:18 PM

impromptu T-Day offroad adventure with old dude!

3 Attachment(s)
Went to Utah to visit my wifes parents for Thanksgiving and didn't bring our dirtbikes because I figured there would be no chance of getting a ride in but my F.I.L. suggested we go out for a couple hours on Thanksgiving morning! I wanted to take my truck and he wanted to take his Jeep so we took both out and my son rode with his grandpa while I had the squealing wife and niece in my truck :gy:

Now my FIL is going to be 76 years old in a couple months so i was not expecting much more than a fire trail ride and maybe a good look out spot but the ol' guy has been hanging out with a Jeep Club in St. George and has gained quite a bit of confidence and skill! He really surprised me with the things he was willing to attempt.

Picture #1: I wasn't even going to attempt this step for fear of scratching my baby for no good reason. But the damn old dude in the Jeep did it and egged me on with a pinky swear that he would spot me well. So after I smashed my .... J/k :) I got over it without touching believe it or not!!

Picture #2 is just the Ram showing the Jeep the proper line ;)

Picture #3 is my awesome yet sometimes still annoying Old man breath father in law that I wouldn't trade for nothin' showing me how he grew some balls since we last went out together and he chewed my head off for 'being stupid' offroad :D

ShiftJockey 11-24-2012 01:23 PM

hahahahaha! Good stuff, man!

Bikenut 11-24-2012 01:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And the best part of the whole thing:

My son and wife creating priceless memories with 'Papa'!

I wish I had a grandfather like my son has :smileup: (:4-looney:)

Bikenut 11-24-2012 01:31 PM

And finally a couple notes from this trip:

#1 Toyo M/T tires are AWESOME!
#2 It's a good thing that plastic piece under the front bumper got ripped off in Glamis because it would have been bouncing around the bed of my truck this trip...
#3 My front shocks got 'broken in' and became a bit loose - enough to cause a little thump when we got back on the road. I intentionally installed them 'lightly' per instructions -against my previous method of tightening the mount until the bushings 'smush' a bit. Well, I had to snug them up but its a good thing I recognized the sound/feel or I would have been freaking out
#4 I am amazed at the approach/departure angle and clearance of my truck with just a front end leveling kit!! I just knew I was going to scrape something but never did :)
#5 Although my truck does better than ever expected off road, it still isn't a Jeep ;P

SnoylCC5 11-24-2012 01:59 PM

looks fun man! man i need 4wd so i can have some fun offroad again!

ShawnC13 11-24-2012 03:26 PM

Now that looks like a great Thanksgiving Day you had with the family!! Man the Mega Cab looks great!!! Thanks for sharing the awesome pictures.

frickenbored 11-24-2012 06:36 PM

wow I'd give anything to get out there and do some baja-ing with my old k5 blazer.

Bikenut 11-24-2012 09:10 PM

Oh Man a big ol' K5 would be sweet out there!

Ya, the Mega must be shorter than my old chevy CC LB. I would have never made some of the things I did in it.. I was so surprised the long WB didnt make me a teeter totter.

SFVDOC 11-25-2012 10:56 AM

Utah has some great off-roading. The wife and I went to Moab this past summer. Took a Hummer tour of Hell's Revenge. It was awesome. I don't have the experience or the set up on my truck to do something like that. But we did manage to do some on the Gemini Bridges Road trail which was just enough for a stock 4x4.

I am so Jonesing now to lift my truck and put some good tires on. But with two kids in College.....

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...c/IMG_0212.jpg

Bikenut 11-25-2012 02:17 PM

I feel you! Those tires were painful at the register. Just watch for a sale or at least some kind of incentive.
I'll look up that Hell's revenge, sounds pretty cool!
but realistically, I don't intend to make my truck a 'real' off roading vehicle. Whatever it can handle now is all it will ever have to ;)

Man do I want another Jeep though....