DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Need quieter muffler (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=126826)

pingman 11-25-2012 11:17 PM

Need quieter muffler

Hey all, I'm currently running a super 44 on my Ram SI/SO, pip run out back, and like the sound especially when I get on it but in the winter time when I have to warm my truck up at 6a.m. I feel horrible bc I'm sure it wakes up my neighbors, the little old lady that lives next door has said somethin before even though shes up that early anyway. Also at cruise it's a bit to loud for me too. I'm eyeing a magnaflow 18" or 22" but curious how loud either is at startup, especially a cold one. Also are there any others I should be considering. I know its hard to do bettere than a maggie. Thanks all for the info, love the Z.

Unfairkickazz93 11-25-2012 11:28 PM

I am not familiar with flowmaster mufflers but the 22" magnaflow is supposed to sound stock, and the 18" is a little bit louder.

pingman 11-25-2012 11:34 PM

That helps alot, bc I was leaning 22. I do want it a little louder than stock. Thanks.

Unfairkickazz93 11-25-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingman (Post 946231)
That helps alot, bc I was leaning 22. I do want it a little louder than stock. Thanks.

No problem! I know a lot of people on here have the 18". They like it. Luckily I dont have to worry about waking people up, so I have the 14"! :smileup:

the persuader 11-26-2012 12:13 AM

I have a Magnaflow 18" on my 01. It is loud enough to be heard by the neighbors, but isn't obnoxious. Has a deep sound, and is pretty quiet on the highway.

It is definitely a lot louder than stock though, especially cold.

Unfairkickazz93 11-26-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the persuader (Post 946273)
I have a Magnaflow 18" on my 01. It is loud enough to be heard by the neighbors, but isn't obnoxious. Has a deep sound, and is pretty quiet on the highway.

It is definitely a lot louder than stock though, especially cold.

But keep in mind these 4th gens are much quieter overall. I think the OP will be satisfied with the 18in.

brad12kx 11-26-2012 12:30 AM

I went with the Mufflex DOD24M which is based on the MagnaFlo 24". The thing I like about it the most is that it is no louder then the OEM muffler but it is about an octave lower in frequency so you definitely hear it. There is the perception of louder, but when tested with a sound pressure meter it actually measured slightly quieter then the OEM. :158:

My neighbors across the lane in their late 80's have commented that since I changed my muffler they can hear my truck when I start it in the morning and can now hear me when I drive down the lane to my parking spot. They also commented on how good it sounds :wow: and were amazed that it could sound like that but never get annoyingly loud.

I love my neighbors.....and my 24" MagnaFlo. :)

luckymckay21 11-26-2012 01:08 PM

you should check out the Dynomax VT muffler for the Ram 1500's. They are very mellow at idle, no drone at cruising (annoying low pitch frequency sound), and have a nice tone while accelerating. Louder than stock, but not in a bad way. They're pretty cheap to boot.

pingman 11-26-2012 08:01 PM

Thanks all for the info, I'm actually thinkin the 22" may be the safe route, however I'm gonna check that dynomax out. Also I left the resonator in for the 44 and still thought it was too loud so if I go the 22 I can cut it out if needed. Thanks again.

JHemi1 11-27-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad12kx (Post 946287)
I went with the Mufflex DOD24M which is based on the MagnaFlo 24". The thing I like about it the most is that it is no louder then the OEM muffler but it is about an octave lower in frequency so you definitely hear it. There is the perception of louder, but when tested with a sound pressure meter it actually measured slightly quieter then the OEM. :158:

My neighbors across the lane in their late 80's have commented that since I changed my muffler they can hear my truck when I start it in the morning and can now hear me when I drive down the lane to my parking spot. They also commented on how good it sounds :wow: and were amazed that it could sound like that but never get annoyingly loud.

I love my neighbors.....and my 24" MagnaFlo. :)

Love the noise level of my 24" Magnaflow. The startup tone is a lot deeper than the quality of my cell phone vids.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=18

Nice rumble at idle/when driving, not going to piss of the neighbors on startup.