DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Question for all RAM Techs?????? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=126992)

jmr 11-28-2012 02:47 PM

Question for all RAM Techs??????

My truck is a '12 Express with the E brake option and the EVIC dash. I added the overhead console and installed the Compass/Homelink module. The homelink works great and it displays the Transmitting messages in the EVIC.

I want to enable the Compass and so I had my dealer add sales code JFJ (Temperature And Compass Gauge) to the trucks configuration.
The dealer could not do it saying it was not a dealer add on option to select.

So my question is how can I enable the Compass to display in the EVIC?

RamTech 11-28-2012 03:24 PM

Good question. I've never seen it tried.

JimsRamTruck2012 11-28-2012 03:52 PM

There is only 1 way I can think of to get it to work, and that is replace the PCM with one that has the option programmed into it. (Not Cheap. I can tell you that.) And it may effect the transmission's shift points.

It seems the Ram division as well as the others programmed these PCMs so you can't alter them at all. :doh:

RamTech 11-28-2012 05:01 PM

Changing the PCM will lighten your wallet but it won't change your shift points. It won't produce the result you're looking for either.

I've done some research and haven't come up with much. It seems to me that the compass should have started displaying once the option code was entered by the dealer and the tech did a configuration restoration. Come to think of it, a tech DID do a reconfiguration, right?

jmr 11-28-2012 05:15 PM

They showed me a webpage and entered in my VIN which brought up all my current options. They said under dealer installed options the JFJ sales code was not displaying to be selected. Are they in the wrong screen?

How would you go about entering the sales code so that it will be added to my trucks configuration?

GTyankee 11-28-2012 05:15 PM

I am just guessing, but ...
if you could find an EXPRESS that was ordered with the INTEGRATED BRAKE CONTROLLER, if you had that vehicles VIN #, the tech may be able to enter that vehicles VIN# & bring up the codes & punch those same codes into your Express to make everything work ????

jmr 11-28-2012 05:37 PM

It would have to be something like a SLT or Big Horn since they came standard with the overhead console and compass. My Express has the trailer brake option and EVIC dash but no compass because they don't have a overhead console in any Express model.

Do you think I should have them try one of their trucks on the lot to get the proper option code?

ArmyofOne 11-28-2012 05:50 PM

Gt is right, halfway. you got the other half. you need a vin from a same year SLTor higher.

jmr 11-28-2012 06:29 PM

I just went by the dealers and had them lookup a '12 BigHorn on their lot with the compass and temperature gauge and the option code is JFJS. So I made another appointment for this Friday to try it again since the service manager and one other person can add option codes.

Is there a screen where they plug in the 4 character sales code when updating the configuration?

RamTech 11-28-2012 07:09 PM

JMR, here's how it's supposed to work.

Step 1 -Someone, be it a manager, advisor or technician will enter the option code into a PC.
Step 2 - A technician then connects the wiTECH scan tool to the vehicle, downloads the new configuration and then updates the TIPM with the new information via the restore vehicle configuration function.

The new option is now ready for use. Sometimes installed options will partially work without the reconfiguration being performed, so this could explain your situation. If they didn't do both of the above steps, they did NOT do it right.