DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Picked up an '09, time to start modding... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127118)

CdnoilRAM 11-29-2012 09:26 PM

Picked up an '09, time to start modding...

I just picked up an '09 1500 quad cab 4x4 as my new ride to replace the written off '07 and now to start the build all over again. The first thing I have decided to do is a tranny swap before I start getting into the engine mods so I can get that tuned properly before putting power to it.

I have talked to Johan and he's said that he can write out the transmission from the stock tune, so that's my starting point.

My first choice is to swap in a NAG1 from a GSRT, either a SHR viking or a paramount built, with a stand-alone TCM. I know that there are people that have done this swap into early Mopar restorations so I know it's theoretically possible to do, but whether I can adapt it to a modern RAM. I want to keep the OEM transfer case to keep factory electronic 4x4 controls, but I can always go with a GSRT8 transfercase and go full-time AWD rather than selectable 4wd.

If the NAG1 isn't possible, then I will be looking at a built 727 w/ gear vendors O/D to get me a 6 speed. There are lots of TCM controllers out there for the 727 so that should be a fairly straightforward swap and I'll keep it as a backup if the NAG1 isn't possible.

What are people's thoughts on this swap and what will my ro be?

Arth 11-29-2012 09:29 PM

Sorry to be completely unhelpful and totally off topic but I am glad to hear everything is working out for you after that bad wreck but more importantly...PICTURES OF THE NEW RAM?!!?

CdnoilRAM 11-29-2012 09:49 PM

No pics yet. Took it for a test drive and put a deposit down, they're going to safety it and get all the changes I want done (swap the 20s for 17s and my winter tires, etc.). I should have everything squared away by the 10th when I get back from work.

Basically, it's your everyday, run of the mill, '09 brilliant black quad cab 6 1/3ft box. Though, it did come with a helper-bag system, spray liner, bed extender, and looks like a magnaflow muffler.

I will be putting a build log up with all the planned mods and progress. It'll be a LOT faster modding this one compared to the last one now that I know WTH I want out of the truck rather than stumbling around the dark in a room full of chairs and coffee tables.

Excoastie 11-30-2012 05:25 AM

Congrats on the new truck.

I'm not gonna comment on your tranny swap, as I didn't understand a damn thing that you asked LOL.

Were you able to save any of your mods from the '07? Some stuff will fit the 4th gens

Exco

CdnoilRAM 11-30-2012 11:04 AM

I saved all my performance stuff except the camshaft; heads, rocker arms, LMI, ported manifold, rails, injectors, nitrous, novi 1200 (hadn't been installed yet).

I have realized that I never do anything the easy way. There have been only 1 or 2 others that have done a NAG1 swap but as far as I know they were 2wd, not 4wd, so once again, I'm sailing into uncharted waters.