DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   2003 lift question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127129)

DustinUnderwood 11-29-2012 10:44 PM

2003 lift question

I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 with air bags in the back and a leveling kit in the front which were on when I bought the truck. My question is can I have a suspension lift with both those on the truck? I have 275/60 r20 tires which are 33's and I want to eventually get 35's. So I was thinking about a 2.5-3'' lift.

namccanna 11-30-2012 05:48 PM

According to most manufacturers of leveling kits for our trucks, u should b able to fit 35's under it with just the leveling kit. 35's (depending on width) will fit under the rear at stock height.

I just installed Rancho QuickLifts on the front of my '07 which lifts the front end 1.1" (according to the generic web info) or 1.5" (according to the specific order details), but both sets of information and a talk with Rancho said that 35's would fit under the front with just the addition of these struts. Idk if the springs have settled all that they will yet, but I could put 35's under my truck right now, no problem.

I would look into a body lift before suspension (cost) if all ur looking to do is put 35's on ur truck and u still need clearance with what u have.

Hope this helps a little.

DustinUnderwood 11-30-2012 09:55 PM

When it sits on level ground. It looks like I could put 35's under the rear but there would be little to no room for flex and the front would be very tight. How hard is it to instal a body lift?

namccanna 12-01-2012 12:23 PM

Body lifts r pucks that install in each mount between the frame and body....if the bolts work free easily it shouldn't b all that bad to install....price wise tho u could save hundreds depending on what lifts u look at buying. Sometimes there r clips and wires u have to move or relocate slightly due to the added space between the frame and body. U want to make sure that wire harnesses r not stretched and being pulled on or rubbing on other components. This prevents damage to the wire harnesses.

DustinUnderwood 12-01-2012 07:04 PM

Okay well hope nothing is too rusted under there lol. What size BL would you recommend?

namccanna 12-02-2012 04:05 PM

I think that it is personal preference. I put a 3" on my Ranger when I had it. But I made sure that I could without creating all kinds of issues in the wiring and other components. I also found one that came with (not sure what they're called) gap flaps (covers the gap between the body and frame rails) and bumper brackets so that the bumpers r raised also.

DustinUnderwood 12-02-2012 07:17 PM

I came over from the jeep wrangler forum and everyone despised the 3" body lift lol but Iwill defiantly look into it and see what I can do.

namccanna 12-03-2012 06:00 PM

It depends on what u r trying to accomplish, what other options u have and what those other options cost....I did the 3" on my Ranger so that I could put 33's under it. It was WAY cheaper than doing a suspension lift...I think I paid right around $175 for the BL....suspension lifts started at something like $700 plus shocks. Personal choice to accomplish my desired outcome.

DustinUnderwood 12-05-2012 02:49 PM

If I go with a body lift(Which I most likley will) How do I lift the bumpers?

namccanna 12-05-2012 07:10 PM

Try to find a lift that includes the bumper brackets....otherwise u will have to fab ur own...nothing crazy, 3/16 or 1/4" flat stock should b more than sufficient. Slot ur holes tho to allow for fine tuning.....don't want it leaning one way or the other!