DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Help. Custom made rear lowering shackels (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127169)

seancrawford 11-30-2012 12:37 PM

Help. Custom made rear lowering shackels

Hey I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SS/T that is stock other than exhaust. I want to lower the rear 2-3 inchs, I can fab the shackels myself but I was wondering if any one has done it and has some advice. I dont know what thickness metal I should use and I havent really thought about how to design it Im in engineering in highschool and I have a internship at Cummins and have computer modalling programs i use to design so I can design it fast if any one knows the width of the leaf spring and the mount on the frame and possibly the length of the stock shackels with the exact hole locations and stock length. If not i will just have to take one off sometime when i have time. Thanks!

ramvan2500 11-30-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seancrawford (Post 949997)
Hey I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SS/T that is stock other than exhaust. I want to lower the rear 2-3 inchs, I can fab the shackels myself but I was wondering if any one has done it and has some advice. I dont know what thickness metal I should use and I havent really thought about how to design it Im in engineering in highschool and I have a internship at Cummins and have computer modalling programs i use to design so I can design it fast if any one knows the width of the leaf spring and the mount on the frame and possibly the length of the stock shackels with the exact hole locations and stock length. If not i will just have to take one off sometime when i have time. Thanks!

If you want to lower the rear it may be easier and cheaper to either have the springs re-arched. OR, overslung the axle (instead of the springs resting on top of the axle, the springs mounted under the axle tube). Anyways if you want to fabricate your own shackles, you could probably get away with 3/16" steel (make sure that after they are welded and fabricated they are heat treated to remove stress from bends and to strengthen the material). 3/16" depending on the design. If you want to be 100% safe and not have to worry about design a whole lot just use 1/4" steel and grade 8 bolts. But it is just easier and cheaper to just re-arch the springs or overslung the axle. Overslunging that axle will drop your height about 2-3 inches roughly.

seancrawford 11-30-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramvan2500 (Post 950033)
If you want to lower the rear it may be easier and cheaper to either have the springs re-arched. OR, overslung the axle (instead of the springs resting on top of the axle, the springs mounted under the axle tube). Anyways if you want to fabricate your own shackles, you could probably get away with 3/16" steel (make sure that after they are welded and fabricated they are heat treated to remove stress from bends and to strengthen the material). 3/16" depending on the design. If you want to be 100% safe and not have to worry about design a whole lot just use 1/4" steel and grade 8 bolts. But it is just easier and cheaper to just re-arch the springs or overslung the axle. Overslunging that axle will drop your height about 2-3 inches roughly.

My buddys have told me to do the overslung axle my only thing with that is will it affect anything? I dont wanna tear anything up or mess up how well it rides. Would that affect my drive shaft in any way? Idont want to be blowing out u joints due to a bad angle with the drive shaft i already need a new pinion bearing in the rear end. If i do flip the axle ill replace that bearing while i have the whole rear end out. But thanks for the info this could save some money since i wont have to buy anything!

ramvan2500 12-03-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seancrawford (Post 950214)
My buddys have told me to do the overslung axle my only thing with that is will it affect anything? I dont wanna tear anything up or mess up how well it rides. Would that affect my drive shaft in any way? Idont want to be blowing out u joints due to a bad angle with the drive shaft i already need a new pinion bearing in the rear end. If i do flip the axle ill replace that bearing while i have the whole rear end out. But thanks for the info this could save some money since i wont have to buy anything!

Sorry for the late response, without internet. Well if you overslign the axle it will affect the driveline geometry a little bit. A basic overslung of about 3 inches will probably throw off the driveshaft by .5-1 degree on the y-axis. But what you can do is adjust the transmission u-member to compensate.

Be sure to replace the u-bolts don't reuse them even if they are brand new. Once they are torqued down they cannot be loosened or re-used. Better be safe then stupid.

seancrawford 12-10-2012 11:11 AM

I will keep all of that in mind. Thank you!

ramvan2500 12-10-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seancrawford (Post 957222)
I will keep all of that in mind. Thank you!

Not a problem, Matter fact thinking about it Jegs or Summit may actually have a lowering kit. Was looking at my summit catalog when I was in the john and they had some lowering shackles!

seancrawford 01-15-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramvan2500 (Post 957243)
Not a problem, Matter fact thinking about it Jegs or Summit may actually have a lowering kit. Was looking at my summit catalog when I was in the john and they had some lowering shackles!

Yeah I think they do. I know JC Whitney has some but they are like $150. Ill get on summit and look at one point I found a pair for $45 but i dont remember where.

seancrawford 01-15-2013 12:22 PM

Here's a link for 2" lowering shackles from Jegs. Really good deal and its made by Belltech Suspension which is very high quality and reliable! So if anyone else is looking to drop the rear end on their 94-01 Dodge Ram this is the best bang for your buck, im sure you can find some cheaper but you wont find any cheaper thats has better quality than BellTech. They are only $53.99!
http://www.jegs.com/i/Bell+Tech/146/6400/10002/-1
:smileup: