DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Help- Just bought 01 5.2 1500, now won't start, stuck on street! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127318)

Cruciform 12-02-2012 10:06 AM

Help- Just bought 01 5.2 1500, now won't start, stuck on street!

Hello all,

I just purchased a new to me 01 Ram 1500 4x4 with the off road package-
I got a good deal on it because it needed a waterpump- it was seeping. When I test drove it, it ran well.

I drove it home the 15 miles and while driving home, it started sputtering- I thought maybe it was low on fuel so I pulled off and put some in. (the engine temp was fine, and it wasn't leaking too much, not enough to raise the temp or to loose heat.)

I got it home, and started it once, and it was really hard to start- It took about 2 mins of cranking to get it running. It seemed as though when I would release the key from the cranking position it would fire a bit, (then stall) but wouldn't fire while actually cranking. The check engine light is not on, but I'll have to get my code reader to see if there are any codes.

Now, I have to move it off the street to my garage, (come Monday I have to switch sides or I get a ticket) and it won't start at all- I hate to have it towed, my garage is only a 1/2 mile away.

I thinking maybe the coolant temp sensor isn't making contact with coolant, Is there a way to just get it started? Once the waterpump is done I'm going to bleed the system, and I can do further diagnostics, I just need to get it off the street, and it's cold and raining here.

thanks for any help!

RamTech 12-02-2012 10:12 AM

Yikes. While the coolant temp sensor can have a big impact on the fuel curve, it shouldn't be causing the problem you have, especially when the engine is cold. I would check fuel pressure and volume, crank position sensor signal and sync with the cam sensor and the condition of the ignition system, both primary and secondary.

Gen1dak 12-02-2012 02:09 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the same. The coolant temp sensor could be totally dry and it'd still start and run. Poor fuel pressure is definitely where I'd start. Bad pump, clogged filter. Try this. Turn the key on to just the point before the starter activates, and give it a few seconds, then go the rest of the way to kick in the starter. This will give the fuel system time to build up some pressure. It will also point towards the problem. You will want to have that fuel pressure checked. Then go from there.

Cruciform 12-02-2012 04:59 PM

Thanks for the input. I had to have it towed, but am still stuck with the same results- no start, and I tried to spray some starting fluid into the throttle body, no fire. I can hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key. I tried a few times with leaving the key on for a few seconds the turning it over with no results. Doesn;t even sputter at this point.

I scanned the system, and there aren't any codes. No pending codes either.

My next step is to check for spark- seeing as there aren't any codes, is there something I should look for first?

I appreciate the help.

RamTech 12-02-2012 06:32 PM

A failed crank position sensor is a strong possibility. Is there any RPM indication when cranking?

Cruciform 12-02-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 951846)
A failed crank position sensor is a strong possibility. Is there any RPM indication when cranking?

Yes, it goes to about 200 RPM.

Screamintrashcan 12-02-2012 11:51 PM

I'd start with a new ignition coil, I've fried 2 of them over the years, easy cheap fix, if you have verified fuel pressure

RamTech 12-03-2012 09:57 AM

That's a good sign but no guarantee the crank sensor is good. Do you have a DVOM handy?

Cruciform 12-03-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 952229)
That's a good sign but no guarantee the crank sensor is good. Do you have a DVOM handy?

Yes, I do.

I hate to just throw parts at it, I want to know what the problem is, and to fix it the first time, with confidence.

RamTech 12-03-2012 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The attached .pdf file is one of the factory diagnostic procedures for a no start condition.