DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Headers and custom tune??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127425)

cclark666 12-03-2012 07:40 PM

Headers and custom tune???

I am looking into buying JBA headers...
After installing the headers I will need to tune my truck since the headers are a drastic change from the stock manifolds (LEAN out the motor too much). I want to do things the "right" way so my truck lasts. Any suggestions?

Thanx :)

gopackgo69 12-03-2012 08:37 PM

If you are getting shorties, no tune is required. Simple mod, but get a tuner just for what it does first.

DOZER 12-03-2012 11:21 PM

A tuner is not required. The computer will adjust itself to the new flow. However in order to get the full benefit of the headers you will want a tuner. I would also suggest if you don't already have one is to get a CAI.

Gecko 12-03-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOZER (Post 952976)
A tuner is not required. The computer will adjust itself to the new flow. However in order to get the full benefit of the headers you will want a tuner. I would also suggest if you don't already have one is to get a CAI.

+1

Def. look into a CAI if you don't have one already

cclark666 12-04-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopackgo69 (Post 952810)
If you are getting shorties, no tune is required. Simple mod, but get a tuner just for what it does first.

Hey Thanx for the feedback. I see you have a body lift on your truck. Any way you could send a pic? Does the frame show? How does the truck handle after the body lift?
Thanx again

AJ@AutoAnything.com 12-04-2012 10:08 AM

These guys are correct, no tune needed when adding just shorty headers. Let me know if you would like a price quote on the set using your forum discount.
AJ

cclark666 12-04-2012 10:09 AM

Ordered aFe stage 2 last week. Should be here tomorrow.
So how do you guys (with JBA shorties) like them? I know the dyno chart show increased hp & tq but dynos tend to lie. Is there any loss of torque on the bottom end?

gopackgo69 12-05-2012 06:03 PM

I didnt notice any less power in any part of the rpm range. It felt smoother and slighty more power. I have a cai on now too. And a trinity to hopelly get get the truck tuned. After the holidays, I'll get a custom tune from Hemifever.

I have a 1.25" body lift and it didnt effect handling at all.. It was super easy to do, compared to a 3". (I have done both)

InDeepWaterBlue 12-06-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cclark666 (Post 953148)
Ordered aFe stage 2 last week. Should be here tomorrow.
So how do you guys (with JBA shorties) like them? I know the dyno chart show increased hp & tq but dynos tend to lie. Is there any loss of torque on the bottom end?

Honestly I've had the JBA's on for a while and haven't noticed any loss at the bottom end but they really shine mid-high range. I think around 4K the combo comes into it's own and the truck just takes off compared to stock. I've taken the truck to the strip a couple of times as well and the best I've done so far is a 14.8* and that's with open Diff 3.55's on 22's :smileup: I will say the * is for an upgraded Torque Converter which is a 2600 Stall from TCI Other than that I gotta say that's not to bad for a fat ass quad cab lol

TheBlackHemi 12-06-2012 05:02 PM

You really don't need a tune for shorties but your a/f ratio will be in the low 11s, which is rich, and typically where you want it to be at is around 12-12.5 on these Hemi's..... so with that said the computers doesn't fully adjust itself for the best gains but you will see noticeable gains in the mid-to upper rpms range like other's mentioned.