DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   89 ram tailgate latch problems (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127543)

srdupnock 12-05-2012 11:20 AM

89 ram tailgate latch problems
 
The tailgate on this truck has always been a pain in the neck. You have to reach in the bed on the drivers side and manually open that latch then horse around with the handle to get the other side to release. How do I get the tailgate apart to try to fix it or to replace the innards? Or how do I adjust what I already have?

Oldy but goodie 01-06-2013 11:53 AM

usually the problem is in the handle. many owners do not lube the handle hardware enough and then the parts get strained and break or bend, There is a plate in the inside behind the handle to make repairs. to clean amd lube also.

srdupnock 01-08-2013 08:36 AM

Alright. Ill take a look but I don't think I have the removable plate.

Oldy but goodie 01-10-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srdupnock (Post 978520)
Alright. Ill take a look but I don't think I have the removable plate.

You may ouly find screws to remove the handle. pull handle out and then you should have an idea if the problem is the handle or the latches. if you don't find any problem in the handle check if you pull the cable to see if the latch moves freely or is not attached you will have to determine and which end is disconnected and determine what needs repair.Many times you may want to use a bigger hamer but it won't help I've already tried it.
:LOL:

GTyankee 01-10-2013 09:49 PM

if your sheet metal needs replacing

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...h%2Bfor%2BEMPI

srdupnock 01-11-2013 08:55 AM

Alright. Ill just has to jump in and do it. Generally the drivers side latch needs to be opened by hand and the right one I have to pop the handle three or four times to get that one to open.

Oldy but goodie 01-12-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srdupnock (Post 981134)
Alright. Ill just has to jump in and do it. Generally the drivers side latch needs to be opened by hand and the right one I have to pop the handle three or four times to get that one to open.

It really isn't that bad a job. What you will find is there rods that go from the latches to the handle. usually these rods break or strech due to lack of lube on either latches and or the handle. I find it is some times easier to remove the tailgate to work on it. The one thing lube the latches good and life wll be great.

MeAndOldBlue 06-03-2013 10:16 PM

A friend of mine solved this problem for me. He connected a coathanger to the rod which had apparently broken and brought it in behind the handle, where he bent about the last 3/4" into a right angle (just enough to get your finger around). It is not ideal, but I pull on the right-angle-end-of-coathanger with my left hand, and pull the handle (still attached to the rod on the other side) with my right; but it beats messing with the latch itself and once you get used to it, it's second nature. It's worked for several years.

RogerRamJet 06-03-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeAndOldBlue (Post 1115744)
A friend of mine solved this problem for me. He connected a coathanger to the rod which had apparently broken and brought it in behind the handle, where he bent about the last 3/4" into a right angle (just enough to get your finger around). It is not ideal, but I pull on the right-angle-end-of-coathanger with my left hand, and pull the handle (still attached to the rod on the other side) with my right; but it beats messing with the latch itself and once you get used to it, it's second nature. It's worked for several years.

Appalachian American engineering... Gotta love it! Southern hospitality and Southern ingenuity go hand in hand.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger