DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Need some help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127587)

tic 12-05-2012 09:54 PM

Need some help

looking for any suggestions on tuning and boosting my horse power its stock right now pretty much a little exhaust work wanting any ideas on a good tuner and suggestions welcome on any part

99gp 12-05-2012 09:59 PM

since you have a 2003 like me I would say exhaust, intake, and a superchips tuner

NWRQC 12-06-2012 03:54 AM

Magnaflow seems to be a popular choice among Hemi owners ( I had one as well). They come in 14" , 18" and 22" case lenghts, find a 3" center I/O and utilize the factory 3" piping to same some coin.
Super chips or Diablosport for the tuner, although I believe the SC has more options for the 03 Hemi ram. Gains from and intake will be minimal, but there are several options available.
If you want to take it further some replace the stock Y-pipe with and aftermarket one because the OEM one is of poor design and apparently dodge didn't have efficent flow in mind when designing it. Headers are another place to pick up some power as well.
Gearing is another thing to look into.

TheSatinPumpkin 12-06-2012 10:34 AM

SC3815 or SC3865 and 4.56's

InDeepWaterBlue 12-06-2012 02:54 PM

Keep in mind 2003 was an awkward year for the Hemi, there's only so much you can do sadly because of the computer (that's the awkward bit). If I remember right you can't get past the speed governor and that computer is very tricky for custom tuning. Your regular bolt-ons won't have any issues its when you get into tuning things get sketchy from what I hear.

HemiLonestar 12-06-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDeepWaterBlue (Post 954843)
Keep in mind 2003 was an awkward year for the Hemi, there's only so much you can do sadly because of the computer (that's the awkward bit). If I remember right you can't get past the speed governor and that computer is very tricky for custom tuning. Your regular bolt-ons won't have any issues its when you get into tuning things get sketchy from what I hear.

Just the opposite, Superchips is the only one that will allow you past the limiters in an 03. It will lift the rev limiter, but the only way you'll see it is by shifting manually (will shift at the normal 5700 or so in drive). Diablos also have a documented history (do a search) of frying ABS modules and PCM's on 2003's. It is the only way to custom tune on an 03 though. Absolutely no trans tuning on an 03 unless you pull the TCM (or get a spare) and send it to B&G or someoe similar.

InDeepWaterBlue 12-06-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar (Post 954856)
Just the opposite, Superchips is the only one that will allow you past the limiters in an 03. It will lift the rev limiter, but the only way you'll see it is by shifting manually (will shift at the normal 5700 or so in drive). Diablos also have a documented history (do a search) of frying ABS modules and PCM's on 2003's. It is the only way to custom tune on an 03 though. Absolutely no trans tuning on an 03 unless you pull the TCM (or get a spare) and send it to B&G or someoe similar.

I stand corrected :smileup: I had an 04 thankfully but there's a buddy of mine here in Florida with a Turbo'd 03 and is having tons of issues

HemiLonestar 03-07-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDeepWaterBlue (Post 954861)
I stand corrected :smileup: I had an 04 thankfully but there's a buddy of mine here in Florida with a Turbo'd 03 and is having tons of issues

There's a guy on other forums (don't think he's here) FrostKing. Hes from Canada, has (or had) an 03 hemi with turbo running on alcohol. Might be able to help. Otherwise the option is some form of piggyback controller or converting to an 05 PCM (which is in my plans for the future).

Bully's Performance 03-07-2013 10:40 PM

If interested in a CAI, headers, or a Tuner or all 3 let me know I would be more than happy to get you the best deals on the net :) check my signature for details.

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

InDeepWaterBlue 03-07-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar (Post 1032564)
There's a guy on other forums (don't think he's here) FrostKing. Hes from Canada, has (or had) an 03 hemi with turbo running on alcohol. Might be able to help. Otherwise the option is some form of piggyback controller or converting to an 05 PCM (which is in my plans for the future).

Well he seems stubborn to change but it's working out well for him being unique. He ran a 12.8 on street tires a month or 2 ago.