DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   diesel neewb dumb questions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127751)

mcat 12-08-2012 09:30 AM

diesel neewb dumb questions

im sure if i looked long enough i could find all this info, but im a little on the lazy side.. and short on free time
what is the difference between a TUNER and A PROGRAMMER?
which is best for just a little more power and fuel economy?
are any undetectable by a dealer ?
are either beneficial without tons of other mods?
im maybe looking into a filter or cai but not much else..
thanks for any help
D

the persuader 12-08-2012 06:19 PM

They are different names for the same thing. Yes, they are detectable by the dealer because the ECM logs how many times it has been flashed.

Personally, I would look into a DPF delete and programmer if you live in an area where they are lenient about emissions. It should bump up your fuel economy and you won't have to worry about plugging the DPF.

Wandell 12-08-2012 11:38 PM

Right. Two different names for the same thing. Also, it's common for people to have a flashback to the 1980's and refer to a tuner/programmer as a "chip".
Personally, I think that H&S Performance makes the best tuners for the 6.7 Cummin's. They allow you to delete the emissions systems if you choose, or leave it in place. However, the EPA is currently cracking down of companies that manufacture tuners that allow the deletion of emissions equipment so H&S has suspended the productions of there tuners for the time being. They are flying off the shelves at this time, so if you want one you better order one fast.

NWRQC 12-10-2012 04:30 AM

I second what both of them said.
H&S Mini Maxx for a tuner and delete the DPF,NOX, Cat, and EGR and your engine will be a lot happier. You will pick up a few mpg and more power.
H&S has "overdrive" software for the transmission that will help prolong it's life.
I wouldn't waste your money on an intake. The stock intake and filter has been proven to be sufficient for up to about 500hp.
I've yet to see a dyno graph show any gains by replacing the intake.

craigsez 12-10-2012 07:48 AM

There are no dumb questions...Actually its worse not to ask and prove yerself to be a dummy..
We all had to learn to crawl before we walked..

gusman 12-10-2012 08:18 AM

Chances of getting a delete programmer are slim to none unless someone has one on the shelf still.. As previously stated, the EPA put the smack down on delete programmers, and IMO, doing a programmer in these new trucks without doing deletes is a waste of money.

NWRQC 12-10-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gusman (Post 957126)
Chances of getting a delete programmer are slim to none unless someone has one on the shelf still.. As previously stated, the EPA put the smack down on delete programmers, and IMO, doing a programmer in these new trucks without doing deletes is a waste of money.

There are still a lot more available from what i've heard. I still see them listed for sale like they were months ago. While they are still plentiful, how long that lasts is unknown, but there are several shops that still have them in stock. If I were in the market for one would I wait??? No id pick one up asap.

UNBROKEN 12-10-2012 11:29 PM

I know where there are 300 of them waiting on the current crop to run out.
The price is gonna go through the roof in a few months.

RugbyRef 12-17-2012 01:07 PM

Just purchased a Mini Maxx yesterday from a dealer out in CA. Paid $1050 with the pyro cable and the Overdrive Transmission software. You guys are correct - the guy who sold it to me said that most companies that made a run on H&S for the Mini Maxx and Black Maxx models will undoubtedly price gouge the crap out of the consumer. The company I got mine from was still pretty reasonable as they have a good customer base and do not want to jeopardize losing us.

Tim

gusman 12-17-2012 01:26 PM

considering the trans software is like 300 bucks, you got one hell of a deal