Strange Issue with RB1 Radio and Sirius Sat
I upgraded my 2002 Dodge Ram with an RB1 Nav unit and sirius tuner a couple years ago and have had an intermittent issue ever since. I have spent countless hours searching online and other forums trying to resolve it with no luck. Hopefully you all will be able to help me.
Sometimes when I put the key in the ignition and turn it on, the sirius comes in but full of static. It seems to do it more often when the truck is hot like after a long summer day in the sun. Only Sirius is affected, AM/FM and CD all function properly.
I have to remove the key, cycle the lights, press the brake, open the door and wiggle my nose just right and it will work again. I have it figured out now that if I insert the key and turn it to ignition before I close the drivers door, it will never happen so I suspect it has something to do with the auto dimming cab lights?.?.?
Almost seems like something else is on the bus with the sirius unit and causing interference.
Anyone have any insight or ideas? Do I need to take it to a dealer and have them refresh my ECM to include the Sirius unit?
I'm not familiar with your specific truck, nor the head unit that you're referring to, so please understand why I'm throwing stupid questions out there.
I'm guessing that this is a OEM head unit that you installed in your truck. correct?
If so I'd check all of the connections yet again, especially the ground, concentrating on the Sirius unit, as everything else seems to work great. It almost sounds like you've got an intermittent ground loop type of thing similar to what you get when you badly install a cheap amp.
Hopefully someone with more specific info, and not just guesses will come along shortly.
good luck, and be sure to let us know what you find
Factory Head unit, factory harness and connections. All grounds are solid.
Here's a rundown of the unit specs.
Found my issue this past weekend when I pulled the entire system and swapped it to a newer truck. The roof mounted sat antenna had rubbed thru the dome light wiring harness and was contacting the wire for the interior light circuit. If the dome light was lit up when the unit was initializing, it would scramble the unit.
Glad to finally put this one to bed.
So much for that. It did it again the last two days in a row. It is somehow heat related as well as the dome light as it only happens on warm days. If I get in the truck and cycle the key to the on position before I close the door, it works right every time. If I get in, close the door and crank it up, it comes up with static over the music every time.
I am almost to the point where I pick up another radio of ebay and try it out.
This problem gets worse with temperature so I always enjoy the cooler months and then get pissed when it starts to act up again as the temps start to rise again.
In the past I have always blamed the head unit for this issue but since splicing in an Aux port for my ipod, I have discovered that the static is actually coming from the Sirius receiver itself.
With that in mind, I started searching issues specific to the Sirius receivers and found several references where the first Gen receivers would do this. Cheap circuits, poor grounds and weak antenna signals apparently all contibute.
Once triggered, the event lasts for the entire cycle of the key and the only way to reset is to cycle the key. There is even a TSB to address this issue where their solution is to upgrade to a newer receiver with the single wire antenna, (yellow plug), instead of the two connector style, (blue and white plug).
FYI, My receiver part number is 05064020AJ
So, I pulled the receiver today and added a ground wire between the case and circuit board and ran it to the common ground point on the inner fender by the battery. So far so good but only time will tell.
from Chrysler's Media site, not much here :(
Well, I got hit with the static again today so I bit the bullet and ordered the recommended replacement receiver off ebay and sourced the 2 plastic clips from Mopar to change my current antenna to plug into the new unit.
I had previously missed the part where I could convert my current antenna and cable so the total cost for new parts was only $64. I so wish I had of done this years ago.
Replacement receiver 05064074AC
Connector Housing 05189968AA
Connector lock 05189969AA
Quick update, The two plastic pieces are no longer available from Mopar so they refunded my order. I ended up just removing the plastic key tab from the old unit and transferring it to the new receiver. Problem solved. Not quite sure why they don't recommend that in the TSB.
The new radio showed up yesterday so I installed it this morning. Less than 35 minutes start to finish including activation.
I logged into my account and used the automated self activation feature. Now that was slick. I did the install, powered it up and let it do the update and then went inside to register it. By the time I sent the signal and walked out, it was already authorized.
So, after 6 years of living with this trivial but very annoying problem. I am very happy to say that it is now resolved...and it only cost me $47. :)
Over 2 weeks now static free! So happy to report that this issue is now 100% resolved.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger